Chapter 32- "Climax" Part- 3

Narrator-

Nathan didn't see Savannah again until the early evening hours, just as the sun's last glow dissipated from the sky above.

Knocking on her door, he entered her room with a yogurt and silver spoon.

"I come in peace." Nathan signaled when Savannah gazed at him for a second before returning her eyes to the book in her hand.

It was the Bible Ivory gifted her.

Placing the tub on the nightstand, Nathan then carefully sat next to Savannah's legs on the mattress. Savannah kept reading until Nathan closed the book and grabbed it from her hands. Then he held it in his palms and studied the intricate designs on the cover.

Savannah watched Nathan carefully and waited for him to speak.

"So this is important to you?" Nathan wondered while glancing at Savannah before opening the book to see where she was reading.

It was the book of Ruth, Chapter 3.

"What?" Savannah asked for clarification.

"Religion. God." Nathan pointed, his eyes skimming the words on the page before looking at Savannah once again, and this time, holding eye contact.

Savannah licked her lips shyly before replying.

"A relationship with God," Savannah began with a clarification, "Jesus was the one friend I had when I didn't have anybody else. Ivory was right, this book was the best gift she could've given me." Savannah continued while Nathan watched her attentively.

"She already gave me a home when no one else would, how could I burden her further by letting her know that I was being bullied? So when I couldn't talk to anyone else, I had God. And I don't even mean just pray, but to talk." Savannah concluded.

"Is He still your friend?" Nathan wondered, needing to know Savannah's stance.

"Always will be." Savannah said without hesitation or shame.

Nathan nodded and closed the book and placed it aside.

In that moment, Savannah studied him. Now that he knew this about her, she wanted to know his opinion. It wouldn't change who she was, and yet Savannah was still curious.

"Does that bother you?" Savannah asked mutely, while playing with her fingers and the sheet which covered her legs and crossed ankles.

Nathan drew in a breath and looked towards Savannah's door. This allowed the secretary to study and memorize the handsome physique of her boss's profile.

"No." Nathan admitted.

Savannah's heart swelled at the answer, but she hid her relief well.

Nathan remained silent for a moment, and all that filled the atmosphere were soft breath sounds, and the chirping birds who sung the rising moon into its overnight shift.

"Did you ever pray for me?" Nathan wondered after a while shocking Savannah to the very bones of her chest.

Savannah smiled, "honestly?"

Nathan looked at Savannah and her smile didn't fade. There was an air of mischief in her tone.

"I always want you to be honest with me." Nathan expressed seriously, and Savannah's eyes widened slightly as she blushed and looked down then away.

She took her time to respond.

"I used to pray that you would transfer schools... if that counts." Savannah admitted, and Nathan chuckled.