Chapter 13- "Scars" part- 1

Narrator-

Savannah received a call from the hospital just after 4:50 PM. Taking note of the area code and the first three digits, Savannah gulped and swiped the acceptance button with a sweaty index finger, and a palpitating chest.

With faint, hot breaths, a heavy brow, and a knot in her stomach which had her kneed pressing together while her ankles were apart, Savannah placed the warm flat screen to her ear.

"This is Savannah Mars." Savannah greeted.

"Ms. Mars, it's Doctor Philips calling from St. Peter Hospital, I want to begin by offering my condolences, we did everything we could, but at 4:38 PM this afternoon, your grandmother..."

The Doctor's voice faded in Savannah's eardrums, as a high pitched beep stimulated her auditory ossicles instead.

At 5:02 PM, Savannah entered Nathan's office.

"Good evening Mr. Court, I forwarded all the required reports you requested throughout the week. I also RSVP'd for the Business Dinner being held at City Hall this upcoming Saturday." Savannah began her end of the day report without waiting for Nathan's acknowledgement.

She held her purse handles with both hands, given she had stuffed all her take home items into the leather bag.

This detail, along with Savannah's straight tone, caught Nathan's attention more than he wanted to admit to himself. Usually on Fridays Savannah sported a light in her eyes for she would escape Nathan for two whole days. Not only that, but Savannah always, always, carried her take home folder in her arms; And when speaking with him, the folder was plastered on her chest. But not today...

"Having accepted the invitation, you are automatically registered with a plus one, and you can choose someone of your liking to accompany you. Lastly, I need next week off." Savannah announced rather than requested.

This had Nathan's dull thoughts sharpening and alert within the second.

Nathan, who had been leaning back his chair, focused his vision more on Savannah.

"I'm sorry?" Nathan posed, his tone as of he had misheard Savannah's words and tone.

"I won't be coming to work next week, and I need you to approve the days." Savannah spoke in more detail.

"And the reason for this sudden need for a vacation, which, need I remind you, you haven't accrued the hours for so many days as of yet?" Nathan pointed in all his pompous tone.

"It's personal." Savannah admitted.

"I'm gonna need more than that." Nathan pushed.

"I'd rather not discuss it." Savannah said stiffly.

"Then I'd rather not approve it." Nathan shrugged.

"Nathan-"

"Allow me to stop you right there," Nathan rose a palm, "either tell me what's going on, or be here bright and early on Monday." He pressed while tapping a finger on his desk.

Savannah's aim was never to shed tears in front of Nathan. But her grandmother, her adoptive mom, just passed, and it hurt.

So a lone tear escaped Savannah's eye, as her face reddened, and her throat shook.

The ripping pain rippling through her knotted intestines had her abdomen stiff and her lungs constricted.

Savannah closed her eyelids, and her other eye began to drip as well. Releasing a shaky breath through an unsteady O formed by her lips, Savannah sniffled and opened her eyes. She wasn't surprised to find Nathan's untouched and unimpressed gaze on her, and in that moment, Savannah missed Ivory even more.