𝐢𝐢. - 𝐢𝐯𝐲

𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐂𝐔𝐏 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐋𝐘 seen his father as stunned as he had just then. The Vikings were all agape, gasping at the novelty of seeing someone successfully tame and ride a dragon. Stoick was still furious, not only from the disrespect of the girl (Hiccup really wished he knew her name) but also because of him.

"Sorry, Dad." Hiccup laughed nervously, backing away as Stoick glared at him. "Okay, but I hit a Night Fury." He gestured towards his catapult, which was still swinging lamely from the breeze.

Stoick growled and grabbed Hiccup by his tunic. Hiccup flailed around like a fish on a hook as he was planted in front of all the Vikings, all sweaty and tired and most of all, angry. Angry at him. 

Hiccup shuddered, and wondered how the girl had the ability to take down those Vikings. And Astrid, who looked like she wanted to decapitate someone.

"It's not like the last few times, Dad!" Hiccup insisted. He pointed towards the mountains. "I mean, I really actually hit it! You guys were busy and I had a very clear shot. It went down, just off Raven Point. Let's get a search party out there, before it —"

Stoick turned towards him, and bellowed, "STOP! Just... stop. Every time you step outside, disaster follows. Can you not see that I have bigger problems?" Hiccup bowed his head down, shame worming inside of him. "Winter's almost here and I have an entire village to feed!"

Hiccup laughed it off awkwardly. "Between you and me, the village could do with a little less feeding, don't you think?"

He saw a Viking rub his belly at his comment.

"This isn't a joke, Hiccup! Why can't you follow the simplest orders?" Stoick said in disappointment. Hiccup furrowed his brows.

"I can't stop myself. I see a dragon and I have to just... kill it, you know? It's who I am, Dad." Even the words sounded feeble coming from his mouth. Hiccup thought about the girl who managed to tame the Monstrous Nightmare in mere minutes, and ignored the conflicting feelings he felt.

Stoick sighed in defeat. "You are many things, Hiccup. But a dragon killer is not one of them. Get back to the house." He gestured to Gobber. "Make sure he gets there. I have his mess to clean up."

Hiccup's cheeks were red. He had never been as humiliated as before. Sure, he'd gotten scoldings from his dad, but never this harsh and never in front of the entire village. He had a mixture of looks directed to him, ranging from pity to annoyance at the runt of Berk.

Tuffnut sauntered towards him. "Quite the performance," he jeered.

Snotlout laughed at him. "I've never seen anyone mess up that badly. That helped!"

Hiccup glowered at them. "Thank you, thank you. I was trying, so... I really did hit one."

Gobber nodded unconvincingly. "Sure, Hiccup."

Hiccup sighed. "He never listens!" He said, frustrated at his dad.

The man shrugged. "Well, it runs in the family," he said, clearly recounting his own experiences with Stoick.

Hiccup rolled his eyes. "And when he does, it's always with this... disappointed scowl. Like someone skimped on the meat in his sandwich." He lowered his voice, changed his accent and hunched his back. "Excuse me, barmaid! I'm afraid you brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms. Extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fish bone!" 

Gobber cackled, but seeing the look on Hiccup's face, his chuckles subsided. "Now, you're thinking about this all wrong. It's not so much what you look like, it's what's inside that he can't stand."