𝐢𝐯. - 𝐢𝐯𝐲

"𝐇𝐄𝐘, 𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐂𝐔𝐏," 𝐈𝐕𝐘 said coolly as if she hadn't been watching Hiccup's practice. Cerauno was a horrible actor and snorted, and Ivy shot a discreet glare at him. 

Cerauno put his tail around his snout and slept, fed up with Ivy's antics.

"Hey, Ivy," Hiccup echoed the sentiment, but it was clear he was thinking about something. The stream was running, and it was creating a lovely splashing sound that filled Ivy's ears. The two listened in peaceful silence when Hiccup asked, "How do you do it?"

Ivy furrowed her brows. "What do you mean?" She questioned.

Hiccup shrugged, pacing around. Ivy thought the way he moved his shoulders when describing something was pretty amusing. 

"It's just that — well, Gobber told me in dragon training that dragons always go for the kill," he emphasized the last few words in a deeper voice, making Ivy smirk at his cheek. "So how did you end up taming Cerauno," Cerauno perked up at his name, "and how did the Night Fury not blast you or something when you first met?"

Ivy slid down the rock onto the meadow. She laid against the boulder as she brushed her fingers over the grassy blades, and Hiccup joined her too. The two sat side-by-side.

Ivy's voice spread across the clearing. "I guess it was because I never really tried to hurt them. Cerauno, I met a few years ago traveling across the archipelago and ever since he's stuck by me. Dragons are not naturally aggressive — well, except for the female dragons who have eggs, they're really terrifying — and they're more scared of us than we are of them. So all you have to do is just show vulnerability and trust to them, and they'll trust you back."

Hiccup blinked. "How are you so silly but also so wise at the same time?" He asked.

Ivy threw leaves at him. "Wise," she sniffed. "I am perfectly normal, thank you very much."

Hiccup couldn't help but think that Ivy was anything but normal.

Ivy watched inquisitively as Hiccup's eyes landed on the Night Fury from afar. He started sketching out the Night Fury, and Ivy shifted over her body so she could peer at Hiccup from behind. He had surprisingly decent art skills, and when she told Hiccup that, he chuckled.

Hiccup, on the other hand, could feel Ivy's breath linger on his neck. He shivered, forcing down the goosebumps that were arising all over his skin. She smelled like coniferous pines and dragon smoke, he thought to himself as he continued drawing the Night Fury.

It was really a magnificent creature, he thought. He really needed to get started on working for a tail wing for the dragon. 

Hiccup was excited to see Ivy's reaction. He hadn't told her his plan yet; he oddly wanted to surprise her and see her reaction. She hardly smiled, only smirked or did the occasional grin at his sarcasm or someone's suffering (Ivy had confirmed that she wasn't a sadist, so that was reassuring at least). 

Hiccup felt as if it was his duty to make his first friend smile at least once. 

-

𝐈𝐕𝐘 𝐏𝐄𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐓 Hiccup. He was deep in concentration, with his eyebrows scrunched up and eyes narrowed, messy hair falling all over his face. She wondered what he was thinking about — probably Astrid, with the animated way he talked about the girl.

Whatever it was, it was certainly important enough for him to blank out on the Night Fury walking towards them. 

Cerauno had jolted up, ready to defend Ivy if the Night Fury started randomly attacking, but it simply padded towards them curiously.