Chapter 5

Holly Jolly part 1

Holly Jolly part 1

Luna sat on the couch listening to the boys plan. "We'll just tell our parents we have AV Club after school. That'll give us at least a few hours for Operation Mirkwood."

"You seriously think the weirdos know where Will is?"

"Just trust me on this, okay?"

Luna tuned out their voices as she looked over to El who sat on the couch with Mike's super-com. El had to know brining the boys to this monster was a bad idea. They had to come up with some sort of plan.

"You're going to take out the Demogorgon with a slingshot," she heard Dustin tease as she listened back in on their conversation.

"First of all, it's a wrist rocket. And second of all, the Demogorgon's not real. It's made up. But if there is something out there, I'm gonna shoot it in the eye . . . and blind it."

Luna snorted. It was a horrible plan, thought up on the spot. The type of plan Marcy and Jaime would try to do before she stopped then and made them concoct a better one.

"How do you know the Demogorgon even has eyes?" she questioned remembering the floweresqe face of the beast.

"Well then it'll be even easier to kill because it won't be able to see us."

"But it will still be able to hear and smell us. You know sometimes losing one sense can enhance the others."

Lucas glared at her and turned away while Mike turned to Dustin asking about his supplies.

Dustin opened up his bag, shaking out the contents and Luna watched in amusement as chips and candy fell out. "Well, alrightly. So, we've got, Nutty Bars, Bazzoka, Pez, Smarties, Pringles, Nina Wafers, apple, banana, and trail mix.

"Seriously," Lucas said with a deadpan expression.

"We need energy for our travels. For stamina. And besides, why do we even need weapons anyway? We have them?"

Luna clenched her fist. Though she knew Dustin didn't mean anything bad she couldn't help but be reminded of the lab workers calling her a weapon to be used.

"She shut one door and the other hasn't even done anything!"

"With her mind. Are you kidding me? That's insane!  Imagine all the other cool stuff she could do." Dustin walked over to some blankets  and tossed them aside bringing out some toy. "I bet that she could make this fly."

He brought it over to Eleven and held it in front of her. "Hey. Hey. Okay, concentrate, okay." He let go and it clattered to the ground. Not deterred he picked it up again. "Okay, one more time. Okay, use your powers, okay?"

Luna sat up straighter with a small smirk as he dropped the toy. They already knew about Eleven's powers, there was no use keeping hers a secret. She subtly flicked a finger causing a strand of water to form, wrap around the toy, and fling it across the room.

The boys all turned to her in unison. Lucas with a frown, Mike an indifferent expression, and Dustin a wide smile. "Holy shit, that was insane. Do it again."

"What was that? Where did the water come from?" Mike asked.

"Hydrokinesis. Th psychic ability to manipulate or control water. The water came from the air around us, and-" she turned to Dustin still staring at her in awe. "I'd honestly rather not."

Before they could reply Mike's mom called and he told us where to meet them before running upstairs leaving Luna with a smile on her face. It had been far to long since she'd interacted with people.

~~~~~

Luna walked up the stairs of Mike's house. There was no way she was going to be cooped up down there all day and El could fend for herself.

She walked around the living room stopping at the yellow phone her thoughts going back to a similar phone that they had tried to use years ago.

"Luna," Ricky's voice whispering picking her up and causing her to giggle slightly. He set her down and sat on her right while Francine sat down on her left and held out a phone though she hadn't known it at the time.

"What's that?" Her shrill five year old voice had asked.

"It's a phone. It allows you to communicate with people even if they're miles and miles away. Isn't that amazing."

Luna had nodded not seeing the excitement but always loving to spend time with Francine and Ricky.

"Can I use it?"

"This phone's disconnected but we can teach you how to use it. It's a very important skill to know." As the oldest of the group and practically adults themselves Ricky and Francine were always trying to teach them important life skills as no one else had many memories from before the lab.

Ricky rubbed his hand over her head and Luna shook it off hating how it felt without her normal long black hair. After starting the experiments they had made sure it was always buzzed.

"It's also important-" Rick whispered close to her ear. "To know that sometimes it's better to not use it. You never know who may be listening."

Though Luna's observational skills weren't extremely sharp at five she had gotten the message and nodded slowly. Francine had started showing her how to use it when the door opened and four lab workers walked over to her.

She had crouched further into Ricky but one had pulled her up and dragged her out of the room.

Luna tore herself from the memory and forced herself to move. It did no good to dwell on the past.