¹°124 AC: THE DRAGONPIG

Vaera Targaryen was a strange girl in her youth. Unlike her brothers, she was not a brat. She did have some bratty traits, but overall, she was much more like her sister than anyone else.

She sat in her mother's chamber as her sister made her way in with her husband, Laenor Velaryon, and her newborn son.

Alicent had requested that the child be brought to her, and Rhaenyra wasn't going to leave her child that easily.

Her mother faked concern when Rhaenyra showed up with the child. "You must sit." The expression on her face showed concern, but it was clear that she was faking it.

Vaera was happily braiding a doll's hair, trying to make an extravagant hairstyle like the ones that Princess Rhaenys had.

"What happy news." Vaera's father came in and looked at Ser Laenor. "Indeed, your Grace." Laenor smiled.

"Where is he? Where is my grandson?" Viserys picked the little boy up. "A fine prince." Viserys smiled down at the small boy in his arms, making Vaera wonder if her father had been like that with them.

"Sturdy. You will make a fearsome knight." Viserys carried the babe away as Vaera looked up, wanting to see the babe but not brave enough to ask. "Does the babe have a name yet?"

Rhaenyra started to answer, but Laenor cut her off. "Joffrey. He'll be called Joffrey." Laenor nodded adamantly.

"It's an unusual name for a Valyrian." Rhaenyra nodded slightly as Viserys looked at Laenor, still holding the babe. "I do believe he has his father's nose." Laenor smiled knowingly. Luckily for him, the smile did not catch the attention of the Queen.

"If you don't mind, your Grace. Your daughter has exerted herself heroically and should rest." Alicent stepped in front of Rhaenyra and took the child from Viserys before walking to the other side of the room, causing Vaera to jump up. 

Vaera quickly discarded her doll in favor of the child. "May I see him?" Vaera asked, and Laenor reluctantly nodded.

Vaera gently opened the babe's face and smiled. "Father, you are so wrong. He doesn't look like Ser Laenor at all."

Alicent's face contorted ever so slightly revealing a smile. "He looks like Nyra." Viserys laughed as the smile on Alicent's face disappeared. "Of course, dear girl."

Vaera pointed at the side of his nose. "See. He has the same spot as her. And he's pretty." Rhaenyra smiled at the girl. "Thank you for the kind words, dear sister."

Vaera stared down at the child with wide eyes, looking at every small detail of his face. She was sure the babe was terrified of her big face so close to his, but she didn't care.

"He's prettier than Daeron. When he was born, he looked like an old man trapped in a babe's body." Alicent gave Vaera a warning look, as she was no longer amused by the girl.

"Sit down, Vaera." Vaera could tell her mother's patience was running thin, so she obeyed.

She went back to braiding her doll's hair as Rhaenyra and Laenor left.

☆☆☆

Vaera looked at her brother and her nephews. They waited for Jace's dragon to come from below the Dragonpit.