Chapter Seven - Someone Dies :0

A retelling of Ten Keepers: Book One's Chapters 15-16

Death

John's POV

They climbed the mountain the next morning. Nothing like a good morning hike to keep these kids outside, eh? Currently, John was climbing somewhere in between Riley and George.

They managed to reach a small ledge where Riley doubled over, breathing heavily.

"Tired?" John asks.

Riley huffs. "I never had to climb this much before."

"R-I-P," George says.

John gives him a weird look. "Did you just say R-I-P?"

"Are you judging me?"

"I am."

John catches sight of Eilene nearby, resting on another ledge with the others. They lock gazes before they quickly looked away because that was absolutely awkward. Unfortunately, George had seen the entire interaction.

"By the way, did you piss off Eilene again?"

"Okay, why does everyone always assume I'm the one doing the pissing?" John exclaims.

Riley makes a weird face. "Um, that sounded wrong."

"It really did," George nodded.

John ignores them, continuing on, "What if I was pissed?"

"But... you're always pissed," George points out.

"NOT ALWAYS! DO I LOOK PISSED TO YOU RIGHT NOW?"

George looks at him with wide eyes before turning to Riley for help.

She shakes her hands. "Woah, don't bring me into this."

"Are you three done down there?" Dwayne calls them from above. Apparently, everyone had already gotten to the higher ledge and they were the only ones they were waiting for. "Like, seriously, can we get a move on?"

The three quickly climb to where they are, totally not embarrassed. Once they caught up, they entered a narrow pathway with tall mountain walls on either side of them.

"Um sir?" Jef pipes. "I really need to pee."

"Pee on the way."

"Are we there yet?" Ivan asks.

"Does it look like we're there yet?"

"What are your thoughts on the current elections?" Eric slides in.

"We're Greencloaks. We don't have opinions." Dwayne stops before pointing upwards. "See that abnormally huge eagle sitting on that tree?"

"You mean the tree that's literally hanging over the edge of a cliff-face?" Zoron squeaks from somewhere. "Oh yeah..."

"That's our talisman," Dwayne said, pointing out the Copper Falcon glinting off the eagle's neck. "And we're gonna get it."

"No, we are."

They all turned around to find Drina and her army of conquerors standing behind her, posing all menacingly.

"...seriously, how the heck did we miss an entire army of black-cloaked people while climbing this stupid mountain?!" John exclaimed.

"Damn, who pissed you off?" Eilene mumbled in the background.

"NO ONE! ABSOLUTELY NO ONE PISSED ME OFF!" Fired a pissed-off John.

"Is something wrong John?" Ella questioned.

"No ma'am. Sorry ma'am. Wont happen again ma'am."

"For Kovo's sakes," Drina impatiently unsheathed her sword, "Just shut up and fight already!"