[42]

Something's not right

Something's definitely wrong with Wrecker.

I couldn't ignore the feeling in my chest with my heartbeat getting heavier with each beat that pounded inside my rib cage. My fingers had dug small crescents into the palm of my hand and with a small bead of sweat trailing down the side of my forehead.

I watched nervously from the doorway I was standing in as I watched Tech holding his datapad in his hand, waiting for the Wrecker's results to come in.

With each passing minute, I sense Wrecker's headaches slowly intensifying, his eyes scrunching shut as he held a hand to his head.

I know I shouldn't worry too much about this but...I couldn't help but feel that something bad is gonna happen, like it's gonna be directed at me at some point.

Wrecker let out another groan as he suddenly turned his head in the direction I was standing in just by the doorway. His eyes made direct contact at me as I felt a wave of goosebumps crawling up my spine.

I could see the pained look he had on his face from the massive headache he's going through but something about his eyes looked...off.

Wrecker continued to stare at me in some kind of trance, like I was his prey and his was the predator in-hiding, waiting to make his first attack on his victim.

Of course, I knew I was being silly about this, but I can feel my heart beating faster inside my chest. My breathing getting shallow as I felt my adrenaline beginning to pump inside my veins.

Just when I thought I was gonna have a panic attack, I felt someone placing their hand on my shoulder. I jumped at the sudden contact, sucking in a sharp breath as I turn to see Rex standing next to me.

His eyes widened for a moment from the sudden jump-scare I just had. He removed his hand from my shoulder, raising both of his hands up in surrender to show he pose no sign of any threat towards me as I noticed the worried look he held on his face.

Once I realized it was just him, I let out a heavy sigh, placing a hand over my chest to calm my beating heart.

"Goddamnit, Mari! Get a grip on yourself, you're being paranoid over nothing!"

"Are you all right, Mari?" Rex asked, raising an eyebrow at me as he still showed his concern for me. I glance back to the surgical pod to see Wrecker no longer staring at me but with his hand still clutched to his head.

I cleared my throat as I gain back somewhat of my composure and held a stern look on my face as I looked back at Rex.

"I'm fine, Rex. As much as I wanna be here for Wrecker right now, I think it's best if I leave the room. At least until he has his chip taken out.

I fear that my presence here is causing his headaches to worsen and I can't bear to see him in any more pain." I spoke, my head beginning to turn in the direction of the hallway until I stopped in my tracks.