[57]

Crosshair found himself staring at the young woman in front of him

Crosshair found himself staring at the young woman in front of him. The way her light brown wavy hair settle against her back, those icy blue eyes of hers, Crosshair could make out the details with that expression she was making.

Mari had a hard time keeping her composure together with Crosshair standing so close to her now and the way his gaze locked on to her like a predator eyeing his prey.

She won't lie at first she thought Wolffe was scary at intimidating someone but Crosshair on the other hand, he was much worse.

Either way, it didn't change the fact that Crosshair heard what she said to him. Letting her fall off that platform at 79's? What is she implying exactly?

Crosshair watched as Mari avoided his gaze, her eyebrows now scrunching up before closing her eyes with a pained expression showing. He could feel his face softening a bit as he noticed how tight her hands were clenching, nearly making her bleed from her palms where her nails are dangerously digging in.

Seeing her like this, it reminded Crosshair his days as a cadet. The regs would often pick fun at him and his brothers for their appearances and defects. As a child, Crosshair would avoid being seen by anyone. Letting his emotions and vulnerabilities come through once he was alone, not understanding why the regs hated him and his brothers so much.

It was only until 99 found him in the supply closet with Crosshair hugging his legs, crying into his arms. 99 was always there for Crosshair and his brothers. They all saw him as a father figure, who would always tell them to never worry about their looks or insecurities and embrace for who they are as a "bad batch."

It made Crosshair smile fondly at the memory, knowing those were the days he enjoyed spending on Kamino with 99 and his brothers.

Looking at Mari in front of him now, he saw her as the small young cadet he was. Only this time with Crosshair being in 99's position in that supply closet, and not knowing what to say exactly.

Empathy wasn't Crosshair strongest suit and he didn't want to worsen the situation either. Crosshair held a hesitant look on his face, his eyes wavering between Mari until she suddenly spoke, making Crosshair hold back a breath.

He watched as her back now turn to face him with her eyes looking downcast.

"I don't expect you to understand, Crosshair. Throughout my life I never had it simple as merely a businesswoman. I...have suffered so much throughout these past years. Life has been cruel to me, even worse than you can imagine." Mari sneered, her voice sounding full of resentment and despair as she continued with Crosshair listening to what she had to say.

"And all I wanted was to do the right thing, to be who I am. That feeling, when you think you finally managed to accomplish something for a good cause only for it to be ripped away from you in an instant, it's more painful than death.