|1| Watch It

I appreciate all of you who came to support this book! I honestly, can't thank y'all enough! 🫶🏼

▫️▫️▫️

I've finally arrived in New York City. I didn't drive for the whole thirteen hours in one go. I drove about half way, then stopped and got a hotel room for the night. I drove the rest of the way, so it's now early afternoon and I'm exhausted. Traveling in general is just so tiring.

I decided to stop by my parents house before going to check out my apartment. I haven't seen them in person for a few months, so of course I miss them. I'm also hoping my mama makes me something to eat. I've missed her cooking.

They live in a small apartment because they said that's all they needed. Even if I decided to move with them, it would still be enough for us three. My sister moved out three years ago. We still talk here and there, but she's busy with her five kids and running at home business.

I get out my car and walk up and into the apartment building they live in. They live on the third floor, so I smile at the front desk lady as I make my way to the elevator. Pressing the button for the third floor when I get in, I stand there and rock back and forth as I wait.

I get slightly anxious, thinking about what would happen if the elevator stopped working. What would I do if the cables snapped and the elevator falls to my doom? Then I realize, I'm only going three floors up.

I blow out a relieved breath when the elevator stops and opens to the floor my parents live on. I need to stop freaking out over everything.

I walk down the hall to their apartment. I knock on the door and wait patiently. After a few moments, my sweet mama opens the door. She smiles brightly when she sees it's me.

I take a moment to appreciate her short brown hair, with half of it pulled back. She's so pretty. I've always been jealous of her hair, ever since I was young. I love my curly hair but I used feel insecure about it. Then I realized, many people would love to have my hair and I've learned to be proud of it and who I am.

"There's my precious girl," she pulls me into a hug. "How was the drive over here?"

We both pull away and she opens the door wider so I can come in. "It was good, just very tiring," I admit.

We walk into the living room, where my dad is in his recliner with the tv on. He's snoring as he sleeps, his mouth hanging wide open.

"My lord, he was just awake," my mama says, walking past me and over to my father.

She stops next to him, smacking him in the head with the dish rag she's carrying around. He quickly jolts away and my mother steps aside so he can see me. A smile takes over his face when he notices it's me.

"Hey, sweetheart," he says, and I walk over to him to give him a hug.

"Hi dad, I missed y'all so much," I tell him.

He gets up and walks with me into the small kitchen. As soon as we get in there, the smell of my mama's meatloaf hits my nose. I look over to the counter top to see it cooling.

"I made one of your favorites. Think of this as a apartment warming gift, if that's a thing," she starts to cut me a piece of meatloaf.

"Thanks mama, you know how much I've missed your cooking," I say, helping her grab a couple plates from the cabinet.

She hums in response, before asking that dreaded question I hate answering.

"He hasn't been back has he?" she asks, all playfulness gone. "He hasn't been back to bother you?"