Chapter Nine: Days In The Sun

In another part of the forest, Maddie was still trying to lead Squilliam and Patrick to the castle But Maddie couldn't remember which way she had gone the first time. Hearing the wolves howl in the distance, Maddie was certain she was going the right way.

"No! I'm sure this is the way," Maddie said, confident, "Do you hear those wolves? That means we're getting very close to the castle."

"Look, enough is enough," Squilliam said, really starting to believe that everything Maddie has been saying was complete nonsense, "We have to turn back."

Maddie stopped their wagon when she was sure they came across the tree which had been struck by lightning. But it had fixed itself somehow. Maddie still believed that they were going the right way. Seeing that Maddie might just be crazy, Patrick asked Squilliam if he really wanted to marry into (Y/N)'s family. But, alas, Maddie was trying to remember what happened the night she met the Octopus and tried to point them in the direction of where the castle may be. But Squilliam had enough by this point.

"I am done playing this game of yours," Squilliam said stepping off the wagon, "Where is (Y/N)?"

"The Octopus took her and she..."

"There are no such things as humanoid Octipi," Squilliam interrupted Maddie, "Or talking whales dressed in pink. Or magic! But there are wolves, frostbite, and starvation!"

Seeing that Squilliam was looking his cool, Patrick stood up, getting Squilliam to calm down. Squilliam took a deep breath and turned back to Maddie with a smile

"So, why don't we just turn around? Go back to Villeneuve," Squilliam suggested, "I'm sure (Y/N) is at home, cooking up a lovely dinner."

"If you think I've made all this up then why did you offer to help?" Maddie asked him

"Because I want to marry your daughter!" Maddie looked at Squilliam, surprised at his confession, "Now, let's go home."

"(Y/N) is not at home. She is with the..."

Squilliam took Maddie by the collar, "You say Octopus one more time, I will feed you to the wolves!"

Patrick left the wagon, taking Squilliam off of Maddie. Patrick got Squilliam to calm down, making him think back to the war with all the blood, explosions, and the widows. This calmed Squilliam down and he turned back to Maddie.

"Maddie! Please, forgive me, old bean," Squilliam apologised, "That's no way to talk to my future mother-in-law, now, is it?"

"Future mother-in-law?" Maddie asked

"Yeah!"

"You will never marry my daughter."

Enraged by this, Squilliam punched Maddie, knocking her out. Patrick saw that coming from a mile away. Not wanting him to interfere further, Squilliam tied Maddie up, placing her near a tree. Since Maddie wouldn't give Squilliam her blessing to marry (Y/N), he was leaving her mother to the wolves, hoping that they would finish the job. With no mother around, (Y/N) would only have Squilliam left to take care of her.

Patrick was starting to think that this whole plan of Squilliam's was a bit extreme, even asking if he would consider a much less gruesome alternative. But Squilliam just asked if he was coming back to the village with him. Patrick just joined Squilliam back onto the wagon, leaving Maddie to the wolves. Meanwhile, back at the castle, (Y/N) was trying to treat Squidward's wounds. But he wasn't taking it well. Just as (Y/N) dabbed a wet cloth onto one of his wounds, he yelled out in pain.

"That hurts!" Squidward told her.

"If you held still, it wouldn't hurt as much," (Y/N) argued

"Well, if you hadn't run away, none of this would have happened!"