Chapter 10 - Eren

-

I hear muffled voices all around me, but no matter how hard I try I can't see who they belong to. My vision is dark and I can't open my eyes more than a little. I'm lying on the ground and someone's hand is resting on my shoulder.
"Eren." A girl's faint voice is calling my name but I can't make out who's.

"Eren." The girl shakes me gently, trying to wake me up. I groan and roll onto my side. My eyelids flutter but all I want to do is sleep.
Why am I so tired? Where am I?
"He's okay, just a little disoriented." The voice says. She's speaking to other people so we aren't alone. 

I open my eyes to see Y/n, Mikasa and Armin staring back at me.
"What's going on?" I murmur, trying to push myself up. Y/n takes hold of me, making sure I don't fall as she helps me to my knees.
"You don't remember?" She asks. I shake my head, holding onto her arm for stability.

"I'll fill you in later. In the meantime we have bigger problems." She says, tilting her head in the other direction. We're cornered inside a square on the outskirts of Trost, there are tons of Garrison officers surrounding us, watching us with wary eyes.

Their swords are drawn at their sides and they seem to be nervous.
"Eren, can you stand? You have to tell them everything. They're terrified but they'll understand." Armin tells me, his voice trembling slightly.
"What?" I furrow my brows, still unsure of what's going on.

Why are their blades pointed at us? Those are meant for taking down titans. And they look scared. Scared...of me?
"It's too dangerous to let him be free. We should take care of him now while we still have the chance." One of the soldiers tells a red haired, bearded man, who I assume is the officer in charge.
What?

"Soldiers Y/n Ackerman, Mikasa Ackerman, Eren Jaeger and Armin Arlert! The four of you have committed an act of high treason! Whether or not the swift execution is a result depends on you!" The leading officer shouts.
"What?" I murmur aloud. A feeling of dread flows down my spine.

I tighten my fist only to realize I'm still holding onto Y/n's arm. She doesn't seem to care, probably assuming I'm using it to steady myself. I try to take my hand off but my entire body is rigid and unresponsive.

"Any attempt to move from where you stand now, anything I deem the least bit suspicious, will be met with canon fire!" He continues.
"Answer carefully! Eren Jaeger, what exactly are you?" He asks.
"Human? Or titan?"

What is that supposed to mean? Why do they look like they're staring at a monster?
I glance at my friends, Mikasa and Armin look worried and nervous. Y/n remains neutral with a blank expression on her face, seeming unbothered. I look back at the officer.
"I'm sorry sir! I don't understand!" I call.

"Evasion gets you nowhere, don't try to stall and pretend ignorance! You don't stand a chance, you'll be blown to hell before you can assume your true form!" He yells, making dramatic arm gestures.
"What true form?" I ask, more confused than ever.

"Please, schools of us saw it happen! You emerged from the carcass of a fallen titan in full view in front of all your comrades!" He shouts.
"A creature of unknown origins, ability or allegiance as infiltrated wall rose, and that creature is you! You are a risk that I am well within my rights to eliminate!"

"Every moment I squander mulling over your supposed innocence puts us all in further jeopardy from an attack by the armored titan! Hell, for all I'm aware you're a diversion for exactly that purpose!" He's so worked up I can practically see the spit flying when he talks.
"Humanity hangs in the balance, and I can't waste any more time on you! Do you understand?"