Chapter 12: You Sure Know How To Drop That Guillotine On Me

[Mike POV]

The reverberations of projectiles bouncing off the Music Centre walls were akin to hail on a car sunroof. The room was absent of light - Jax had covered the windows with the blankets situated in the corner with the beanbags. Mike did not see the faces of the assailants, but knew that they had to be one of the music kids who hung out in MC3 at lunchtime. He buried his face in his sleeves and aimlessly tried to formulate a plan.

"People are dying," Jax said to break the silence.

"We already know that," Mike groaned. "Kemp was right - this is hell breaking loose."

"I know, but they got the GFC."

"Huh?"

"They broke into the Goodfellow Centre."

"Who's 'they'?"

"I dunno. Just some psychotic gang of kids or something. As soon as the bell rang, they went straight there. Guess they figured that they would find more... "knowledge" there? Man I dunno what they even want."

"Maybe some of them just want a fight," Mike said as a loud thump and a crash ensued.

"F**k, they got in!" Jax yelled.

"Let's get outta here. We need to find Sam and everyone else."

"We just need him and Jayden."

"Sure, but-"

Suddenly a piercing voice breached the room, from outside the MC3 door. "There's people in here!"

"Go!" Jax screamed.

"Open up!"

Mike panicked, and seeing the fire exit at the back of the room, figured they could escape through there. However, as tremendous knocks on the MC3 door began to thunder, he realized from the animalistic screaming coming from outside that there was company waiting for them.

Jax cursed and grabbed one of the useless drag chairs, hurling it at the glass barrier between MC3 and the computer room. It bounced off futilely, but Mike jabbed a music stand from nearby into the window, cracking it. Jax finished off the job with a passionate kick, which shattered the glass, only to reveal another layer behind it.

"F**k!" Jax screamed.

It was at that moment when the windowpane on the MC3 door was smashed open, and a bloodied arm grabbed the door handle, clumsily attempting to twist it open. Just as the unidentified aggressor was about to bust in and brutally murder the pair, two loud crashes from the outside reverberated through Mike's bones, causing the attacker to turn his head back, before another loud crash brought him down to the floor, unconscious and unmoving.

The silence did not linger, as Jax immediately resumed desperately trying to smash through the glass before Mike signaled him to stop and prepare for a fight. To his horror, another arm materialized out of the hallway, forcing the MC3 door open. A dark-haired head poked its way through - it was Jayden.

"You two faring alright?" Jayden strode into the room with his eyes darting back and forth. He had a bloodied music stand slung over his shoulder which had been folded up into a clublike weapon.

"Maybe you could've shown up before we almost f**king died!" Jax was red in the face (though it was always hard to tell with his skin tone).

"Chill, it's all good now. Samuel took care of everyone outside."

"That whole damn mob?"

"A hijacked gold cart is surprisingly efficient in dealing with angry students."