Chapter 18: Cold-Blooded Chem Case

As Jayden set foot into his apartment, he felt a chill down his spine, but he knew it was not the frigid air. The first thing he turned to was his bed, which was positioned right next to the balcony door. He saw y/n still sleeping, to his relief. However, this did not last long as Mike tapped his shoulder and pointed to his desk.

Jayden was not quite sure what he was looking at. The formerly flawless cleanliness of the workspace had been replaced with a ruffled turmoil of overturned books and pieces of paper. Pages had been torn out and flung across the space, and the bookshelf behind the desk had appeared to have upchucked most of its contents, with books strewn across the floor beneath like they had committed suicide.

In the midst of everything that was going on, Jayden was surprised to find his notebook left on the desk. The text that he had written prior to his departure appeared to be absent, however. Jayden then uncrumpled a wrinkly ball of paper right next to the manuscript. It was the first page of his journal, with the beautiful black ink imploded onto itself like a crushed rose.

"Uh, Jayden," Mike began. "I know you're still trying to do a Sherlock Holmes on this whole thing, but y/n isn't looking too great."

Jayden turned towards y/n once again, and realized that something was terribly wrong. He walked over an tried to shake them awake, but there was no response. Immediately his heart rate skyrocketed and his breathing accelerated and grew heavy in his chest. He couldn't lose anyone else, not after everything that had just happened.

"Check the pulse," Mike instructed as Jayden put his two fingers to y/n's neck. He felt a weak but gentle thumping against his skin, which made him exhale in a release of all his pent up anxiety.

"She's not dead," Jayden reported.

"Poisoned?" Mike suggested. Jayden thought about it for a second, then nodded. "Alright, so let's think about it for a second. Who would've broken into your house just to mess up your desk, posion y/n and leave?"

"First we gotta figure out who actually knows where I live."

"Bro, everyone knows where you live. You accidentally leaked your address, remember?"

Jayden was about to retort, but felt another vibration in his pocket. He opened up his phone and checked the new message.

Tiny Today at 4:14 PM
@Sir JayJayy
Any news
?

Sir JayJayy Today at 4:15 PM
y/n's poisoned
Someone broke in
Idk who

Tiny Today at 4:16 PM
Do you know what poison it was
?

Sir JayJayy Today at 4:16 PM
How the hell am i sposed to know that

Tiny Today at 4:16 PM
Nvm

Sir JayJayy Today at 4:16 PM
They're breathing
If that means anything

Tiny Today at 4:17 PM
Wow

Sir JayJayy Today at 4:17 PM
It could have been hamish
He's like the top chem student in ib rn

Jono Today at 4:17 PM
Yeah but the man doesnt know your address
And he wouldnt even care

Tiny Today at 4:18 PM
Yeah
Also whoever broke into your house would be a competitive tok student
Otherwise why would they check your desk
For notes
Your a smart kid so obv it would be a competitor of yours

Sir JayJayy Today at 4:18 PM
My guy I have no opps
Nvm
Just gimme some advice

Tiny Today at 4:19 PM
Hmm
Ok so
Jina's dad does toxicology
It coulda been her
Shes kinda a lab assistant
So she would have substances on hand