Chapter 1

I didn't hear the flood, I didn't hear the water rushing in as the hurricane nearly killed me. I didn't hear. Mom told me I could be like everyone else, I could listen to others. An expensive surgery could make me like everyone else. Maybe I could listen to my girlfriend say she loved me or my sister sing in the church choir. Maybe I could hear my mom talk about her interest instead of relying on signs. I guess I didn't realize how fortunate I am today but I didn't want to change. I didn't think I was broken, just different. I knew I had no choice so I went to the doctor. He was a tall gray man with a wrinkled body.

I remember his features distinctly as he messed with my head around my ears putting in the devices on my scalp so I could hear. He nods a sturdy nod as I sign "OK" for a moment. There's a pause as he talks to a woman with brown graying hair and a soft body, she is my mom. The person who wanted me to have this. A tap on my shoulder as a girl with bleach blond hair, bronze skin, and curves comes up to me and signs. "How do you feel Jasper?"

I nodded and signed to my girlfriend "Scared Jessica". Another girl taps my shoulder, one with brown hair and light olive skin. "Hey big brother I'm excited for you," she said I nodded "Thank you" I spoke back. The doctor glances at me and then back at my mom as she signs the documents. He twirls his chair at me as he smiles "Are you ready Jasper?" He asked if I spoke in reply "Yes, yes sir" he scooted himself toward me with his stool with wheels and placed his hands on the device. His chest was directly in my face as I took a deep breath. 3,2,1. Click.

"Jasper?" An old deep rattling voice cooed. Buzzzzzzzzz I look up at the light "They make noise" I crooked loudly. Everyone laughs thump thump thump. I cover my ears. "Jasper," Jessica asked. The doctor rushes over to the back of the remote, turns off my device, and turns them off as I sigh in relief. Jessica rubs my back as I look up at her with a smile. "Why'd you turn them off," Mom asked the doctor, "I want him to use them as much as possible Remember the Flood, he could have died he's unable to ...." I begin to zone out as Mom babbles about me. "He's my baby and I need to protect him" I picked up.

I sigh as I look out the window toward the ocean. The palm trees swayed in the wind and the people roamed the streets. My mind wandered as I'd from time to time gaze at my mother as she talked about my dangerous "Stunt" in an attempt to save our family dog as the glass was breaking in our home and he was in his crate. I knew I could make it and I did. Mom blames this on my hearing; she's blamed everything on me being deaf and my inability to do things.

I don't get it I can do so much in life yet she doesn't see it, I learned a good lesson long ago as a child when I used to go to Baxter School of Deaf, Don't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree - Albert Einstein, I just wish she didn't see me as a battered fish. I never wanted this. I just wanted to live my life but when I tried proving my worth by saving the family dog it got me in trouble. The doctor holds the remote and then turns it on again. "Jasper?" Mom asked me to look over at her and suddenly a blaring honk riffles in my ears. I scream which reverberates louder. Jessica holds my hand and gives it a soft kiss as I look around for the sound.

"Jasper, Jasper, Jasper It's ok, calm down this is a lot to take in just take a breath and listen to my voice," Jessica said in her high soothing voice as I hyperventilated I squeezed her hand and my breath began to slow "I love you Jessica" I croaked, "I love you too" she replied. The doctor hands me a few items and asks as he turns a few tests on me making sure the devices work. I cringe at every sound as he plays screeching bells and roaring kazoos.

He finally allows me to leave as he shows me how to charge and turn on and off the controls. He pulls my mother off to the side and talks to her as the room is now quiet, peacefully quiet. I'd turn them off. I smile as we walk down the stairs and toward the parking lot where we get in a red jeep and drive off. Music begins to play in the car. I place my hand on the stereo and allow myself to feel the intense vibrations of the music as we drive home across the bridge. We arrive at a home still in repair but liveable. We walk on the rugged pavement and toward the two-story house. There a small white poodle runs up to me and kisses me.