Chapter 12

I and Jessica work on homework. She told me of rumors spreading around the school that I was a coward. It infuriates me that if they were in my shoes they'd understand how shallow they are being. I had to protect my sister even if she didn't deserve it. I had to protect Roxi. She was family. They were family even if they were soulless or the favorite child.

My mind turns into a scattering of raindrops thoughts run like water I can't stop. "Jasper?" Where is the dog? "Jasper?"Is Opal OK? "Jasper?" Flood drops out my eyes. "JASPER!!!" Jessica replied in surprise. She walked over to me and hugged me. I didn't know why I was so emotional. I was never like this before. It seemed like everything was pouring out and I couldn't take it anymore.

Jessica rubs my shoulder as I sniffle shaken. I looked around the house though I was safe. It didn't feel right. My room was gone. The stars I counted on the ceiling from when I was little. The feeling of safety but was it? Was this my mind giving me a false sense of security? "Why not take a break, go out, and sit on the porch," Jessica said I nodded. "Yeah," I replied.

I collect myself as we step outside and head to the porch with a jacket. I and Jessica talk in sign as we watch passersby. We watched the waves. Jessica spoke, "What did you think of the jellyfish migration?" She asked. I smiled and said "Pretty, the best yet." Our conversations lasted a while until we decided to head back inside to make a small snack. Cheese and crackers. I taste the buttery salty cracker rather than the smooth creamy cheese as we laugh about jokes and tell stories.

Then sit down and head back for the textbooks. After a while, she offered a bowl of fruit salad. I pick a few berries and continue my studies. I plug in my new words and phrases into my online flashcard and study my content. Now and again I look up to see Jessica as she picks up the strawberries from the salad. "Your berry sweet you know" I joked

Jessica slapped my arm playfully. "You tease," she said "Berry much so" I replied. She stood as did I. We ran around the house like two small children playing tag as she tried to grab me. I feel my body ache and my adrenaline pump. Flood. A memory. Had I forgotten? I was running up the stairs. She was chasing me. She grabbed me and pummeled me to the ground.

The memory stops, and I'm on the ground with Jessica on top of me looking at me "You stopped" she said "I, I did" I ask. "You didn't kiss me," Jessica replied. "I'm sorry" I responded. Everything was quiet and awkward. "Do you love me?" she asked "With all my heart, I just have a lot of emotions I can't tell you about" I replied. "Why?" Jessica asked.

"You, wouldn't get it honestly," I said "I might not maybe but you can't keep it inside you forever if you do sooner or later you'll just create a hurricane and start floods" she replied Jasper felt angered by that word "Flood" his dog could have to die his dog was was his dog where was his sister he couldn't protect everyone, anyone. "I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE FLOOD" I yelled in tears.

"This has nothing to do with me, does it?" Jessica asked. "Does it matter that I need to protect the dog, I need to protect my sister, I need to make sure every one of us," I said. "No you don't" Jessica replied "Then what do I need," I asked "You need to care about yourself at least right now, Jasper you're about to go to college get away from this place and experience life outside the islands," she said "I'll try" I replied "for you"

"No for you" Jessica responded. We stand up and walk back to the kitchen to complete our work. They sit down together to watch TV. Jessica's father comes home with three personal pizzas and a big bag of salad with several vegetables to cut. I hold Jessica and yawn. She strokes my hair and I lay in her lap. Slowly drifting to sleep.

It didn't seem like long before I woke up and was given a pizza "Have as much salad as you like" he said. I rub my eyes and eat the warm pizza. I taste the tangy sauce, pull the gooey cheese, and bite the butter herb-filled crust. I eat the leafy salad and bite the flavorful onions.
"Would you like a Ranch?" she asked "Sure" I replied. I porch the white thick cream on my salad and eat it. "Thank you," I said. I finished my salad then ate another and ate my pizza. After dinner, I watch TV for a while. Jessica's dad taps my shoulder as he begins to talk to me about my lawyer. I nod and listen and nod getting the information in. "We can go see her tomorrow I think she's a good one," he said "ok thanks" I replied