Chapter 5

I marked my calendar for Tuesday, October 4th, 2022. I pick out some fresh clothes and shower. I let the devices charge while I soak in the hot water on my dry skin. I feel my scratchy face pull out my razor and begin to shave. I feel stomps on the floor as I see the shadow of my sister's full figure dance around. I tell her I'll be out as soon as I finish cleaning up. I put on my clothes and walk out as she quietly sneaks in to do her make-up. I walk down toward the creaking step and take a step down. I suddenly stopped as I felt the murky water on my feet and the cutting of shutter glass on my feet ripping my flesh as I ran toward safety.

I staggered then looked at my scared full feet and sighed as I walked. I feel each shard press deeper and deeper into my feet. It was almost a week ago I told myself quietly as I sat at the table. Mom steps out with a pot of coffee and sits at the table "I got that thing I saw online in the oven" She said. I nod "OK" I replied. I see the timer rattle as she pulls out a piece of toast with an egg inside and lets it cool. My sister walked down dressed nicely as usual and she began to talk. I read my books and studied cramming in words for exams.

Mom hands me a cup of coffee with cream as I drink it, eating the toast with egg and dipping the crispy buttery bread in the gooey yolk. Roxie ran up to me as I petted her on the head. "Good girl," I said, allowing her to lick my plate. I give the plate to Mom as she washes the dish and she taps me "Put them on" she said. I sigh "OK" I reply I creek up the wooden banister and toward my room where I put on the devices. I turned them on for a moment listening to the muffling conversations Opal and Mom were having as I tried not to listen to traffic and the drywall screamed like a whining toddler.

I try to smile as I look in the mirror copying emotions. Then I look at my feet again. I stumble back seeing the puddle of blood from my gashing feet. I fall over feeling the pain of the glass and wood chips splinter me as I crawl back and see the water creep closer. I try to run and I feel myself inch closer to the wreckage. I could touch the muddy rapids as if they were real Roxi sitting next to me. Was any of this real?

Was I reliving that day over again? I felt a lashing stinging pain on my face as I heard an angry scream that I could hardly make out. All I knew was it was Mom. "Mom," I asked. Slam, fall over I hear Opal's cries. "MOM!!!" I asked. BAM, "PLEASE STOP" I cried. Smack. I look around my face bruised, my body shaking as I feel myself trembling. I remembered that I felt so worthless but they made me feel that I've had to live this way.

I lay on the bed, my eyes trying to water as the water receded. "Jasper" Opal said I stood up and looked in the mirror making faces again, faking a smile. "We're going to be late for school," She said as she creaked up the steps. I walk down the step, my legs shaking. I nod "I'm sorry" I croaked as I walked down the steps. I turn on the roaring ignition and drive off. I couldn't help feeling extra exhausted throughout the day as I was forced to listen to screeching shoes and kids' manic laughter. Through the cluster of swarming voices, I hear the familiar voice I knew as my girlfriend. I smile as we eat lunch and our sandwiches.

Not wanting to hear the sound of my vibrations I kept quiet while she talked about her classes. I looked down. I wasn't able to fully understand her without reading her but the sea of viscous voices was too much to bear. "Jasper?" She asked me if I knew my name. "Yes," I asked. I tried to look into her eyes but it felt awkward. "Are you OK?" Jessica asked as she flipped her golden locks back and leaned in. I could hear her breath. I didn't want to be scared by the visions in the morning. "Yeah," I lied.

"You just seemed stressed," She replied. She could read me well, I didn't want people to know I was a problem. Yet I was created in God's perfect image. My mind swarmed with confusion as I stood from the table and looked at her with a darting glaze. "What's going on with you Jasper," She asked. I couldn't tell it'd hurt her too much. "Nothing!" I spat out.

"Jasper, you can tell me anything," Jessica said. I take Jessica away to a quiet corner. "Is this about the flood?" Jessica asked if I nodded yes in reply. "It's been eating you up hasn't it," Jessica said I smiled "Yeah" I replied. "Look, Jasper, I know in our religion animals are not with soul but I think you did the right thing," Jessica said.
I smiled as she pressed her warm hand to my cheek. "We are born with original sin and we aren't perfect. Your mother needs to see that," Jessica said. I chuckled as my love grew stronger as I leaned in and kissed her. We kiss lips, smacking the noise a bit uncomfortable. I just allow myself to feel the moment. I release my lips from hers and come in for a hug. "I don't know what I'd do without you, you're my everything" I exclaimed. Jessica smiled as she muttered, "You're my all."

"I'll love you to the moon and back" I replied, Jessica slapped him playfully and said "Well I'll love you to the stars and beyond" She scoffed as she shoved me off, and put her hands on her hips "Well I love you to the ends of the universe" I chuckled "Take that back," Jessica said shoving me "Make me" I demanded. "Really? Want to test me," she asked I smirked "What did you have in mind princess," I asked. We both stared at each other quietly, our lust talking to us. Jessica picks up her things and walks away. "I'm sorry," she said. "Yeah I'm sorry too," I said, grabbing my bag as I stormed out of the stairwell into my next class.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,