Chapter 13: Roses

March 3rd, 7:58 pm.

Simon ascended the stairs, his eyelids heavy. He had just gotten home from a training mission, something Price insisted the 141 do as a group. All it really did was make Simon feel tired, and increase the tinge of homicidal urges toward certain members of his force. Those feelings would die out, they were his family, but he could only handle so much of MacTavish pretending to be him, calling out the supposed crush on his neighbour.

He could wring his neck like a wet washcloth.

His thoughts came to a sudden and abrupt halt when he saw the large vase filled with roses outside of the door to your flat. Just a bunch of roses. In the hallway. Beautiful and red, pink, and white. They looked almost fake, how perfect they looked. The way the colours seemed so out of place against the dark wood floors and light beige walls. Almost cartoon-like.

Huh.

He approached cautiously and plucked the little card from the top of the bouquet. Small, white with gold lettering with the name of the place of origin. Flipping it over he noted the semi-shakey handwriting. Whoever wrote this was either nervous or rushed. Maybe both.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,

I would like it very much,
If I could go out with you.

Simon grimaced.

Don't quit your day job... Declan? That was the name at the bottom of the card.

He wanted to laugh, this was funny to him. For little to no reason as well, just a small joke to him.

Oh, you poor wanker, he thought as he stood to his full height, slipping the small card into his pocket before entering his flat.

March 3rd, 8:12 pm.

The elevator dinged open just as you wiped the tears from your reddened cheeks.

It was official.

Fuck your job. Don't fuck your coworkers.

You stormed from the lift, palms still rubbing harshly at your eyes.

When your hands dropped to your side you were surprised by the flowers.

"Woah..." You crouched and picked up the vase, sniffling a smile out as you searched for a card.

Weird. No card.

You slotted the key in your door and pushed it open, setting the vase on your counter, and typing a message out to Tamara, asking if she was available to video call.

The ringing on your laptop answered your question.

When you answered the call Tamara's face fell.

"Who fucked with you?" Her voice was robotic for a second as she adjusted the light on the bedside. "Who am I killing when I get home?"

You shook your head, hands shooting up in surrender.

"No one. It's not important." Half shrugging you leaned over to grab the vase, still holding it off-screen, "What is important is this."

You brought the flowers onto the camera and Tamara's face lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Who are they from?"

"Fuck if I know."

Her face scrunched up in confusion, and slight concern, "How do you not know? Did you check it for a card? They always come with cards-"

"No card. I already checked." You set the vase back down, slouching into the stool at your counter. "It's a bit odd for no card, but maybe they forgot it? Having a stalker was not on my (Y/n) bingo card this year."

"Great news! It was on mine." Her face shifted into a smile before twisting wickedly, almost Jim Carrey Grinch-esque. "Maybe... They're from your neighbour? The hot one."

You flushed.

"You've never seen his face, Tam!"

"I can tell."

"Of course, you would know." There was a beat of silence before you both laughed. "But no, I don't think they're from him."

You heard her fingers drum across her laptop keys, making a satisfying click noise.

"What if they were, though?"

You stood, picked up your laptop, and made tracks to your couch, groaning as you lay on it, laptop rested on your stomach, "I wouldn't mind at all. Is it weird I kind of hope they are?"

You heard a soft and muffled thud and heard Tamara quickly move.

"I knew it! I knew you liked him! I so called it!" You quickly shushed her, as if Simon was mere feet away and might hear.

"It's a new development."

"The fuck it is! If you didn't have us with you on Halloween you totally would have fu-"

"Tamara!" Your voice was stern. "It's not like that... At least not fully! Its... I don't really know."

The dark-haired woman shook her head, her eyes closing. "Whatever you say, captain."

You frowned.

"I have to go, Tam. I need to shower." Your cursor hovered over the end call button, just as you were about to press it Tamara spoke up.

"I bet you're so stin-." The blip noise from the call ending made you laugh.

What a perfect cut-off.

You turned to the flowers again.

"Who sent you?"

___

I'm also going to go through and edit the formatting of the story, doubt I edit anything beyond that.