Chapter 4: The Running Cabbage: A Hoot-ful Fowl Play!

Luz awoke with a jolt, the anticipation coursing through her veins. The night had been restless, her mind consumed by the excitement of finally living her dream. For years, she had immersed herself in her own fantasies, yearning to be like Azura. And now, it was happening!

With a burst of excitement, Luz leaped out of her sleeping bag, ready to embrace the day. Spotting King, the adorable little demon who had taken a liking to her makeshift room, she scooped him up in her arms, showering him with affection.

"Morning, King! My cute little snoozles," she greeted, her voice filled with warmth.

"I'm not cute," King protested, yearning to return to his slumber.

"Yes, you are," Luz cooed, unwilling to let him off the hook, before placing him gently back on the foot of her sleeping bag – or, as King called it, her sleep cocoon.

"Heh, I know," King sighed, surrendering to the coziness and drifting back to sleep.

As she emerged from her makeshift room, a rush of nerves washed over her. She reminded herself that reality might not align perfectly with her wildest imaginings. The day prior had been a stark reminder of that truth. If she allowed herself to get carried away with her fantasies, she risked finding herself in another dangerous situation; one where Eda may not be able to fly in and try to save her from. She had a point to prove to Eda – she could handle this new world, survive, and thrive.

Luz found it surprising that Eda hadn't sent her packing after the stunt she pulled the previous day. Instead, the older witch seemed genuinely impressed by Luz's ability to navigate challenging situations, even if those situations were of her own making. Perhaps it was the result of years of fending for herself in the human realm and having to dodge bullies and things being thrown at her.

She had made countless promises in the past few months – to herself, to her mother – but they all seemed irrelevant now. The promise she had to keep, however, was the one she made to herself: she wouldn't let this newfound opportunity go to her head. She had to approach this world with intelligence and caution. After all, she was living in a world brimming with magic, and there was no need to pretend anymore – at least not for the summer.

"Day two! Don't screw this up!" She whispered to herself.

Luz bounded out of her room, excitement propelling her forward. She skipped down the stairs and made her way to the kitchen, fully expecting Eda to still be asleep. The older witch had not exuded any signs of being a morning person the day before.

To her shock and delight, however, Eda stood in the kitchen, clutching a steaming cup of an unknown concoction.

"Morning, Eda!" Luz chirped, her voice brimming with energy and enthusiasm.

Luz bounded with an unusual amount of energy, especially considering the early hour of the morning. Her excitement radiated as she entered the kitchen, where Eda stood, giving her a tired wave that barely acknowledged Luz's existence. Undeterred by Eda's fatigue, Luz eagerly awaited her instructions.

Eda, stifling a yawn, handed Luz a list of what appeared to be fruits and vegetables. "Go outside and collect these from the forest just behind the house. I'll use those ingredients to cook breakfast," she instructed.

Luz's eyes widened as she examined the list, her gaze fixating on an intriguing photo of a peculiar vegetable shaped like a fish. "Screaming... broccofish?" she questioned, her curiosity piqued. With a shrug of her shoulders, Luz saluted Eda playfully. "You got it, Owl Lady!"

Without wasting a moment, Luz sprinted towards the back door, which led directly to the forest behind the house. As she ventured into the tree line, she discovered a small garden-like area within the forest. Walking towards it, she carefully inspected the names and pictures on the list, mentally preparing herself for the task ahead.