❊❊❊❊

Simon sighed deeply as the heated voices began to be heard upstairs. Mom and Dad argued again. Simon knew why. He wasn't allowed to tell Aline, and he knew better than to go against his mother's demands. He wouldn't tell. But he knew it was about her. And about Dad.
He kept Aline busy while they argued down there. It was quite simple once he had taken out the ancient dolls that their grandmother had once owned.
She commanded him to play with her, and he did everything in his power to keep her distracted.
He knew she was still scarred from the events that had taken place when she was little, but he also knew she had gotten stronger over the years. Even after Simon had been caught by his ability, she had shown no sign of still thinking about it.
Their father had died on one of his business trips when Aline was 10. Simon couldn't help but be fascinated that his sister was so strong, even though so much had happened to her before she was even 13. Acceptance to Mystic was supposed to be one of the biggest things a human from Canai would experience in their life, but Aline had experienced so many horrors that Simon doubted she would make it out of school unscathed after 4 years.
Suddenly the screaming stopped down there, and Simon caught his breath. He hadn't even known he was holding the air in. He told Aline to stay where she was and that he'd be back shortly before sneaking down the stairs to ask Mom if it was okay for them to come down.
He met her in the kitchen where she stood with crying red eyes and disheveled hair. A large bruise filled her left cheek.
Simon didn't even have to ask, she just nodded. He disappeared up the stairs again, but still waited a moment longer so that Mom would have time to recover from the injury.

 He disappeared up the stairs again, but still waited a moment longer so that Mom would have time to recover from the injury