Chapter eight

CHAPTER EIGHT: desperate souls

«-(¯'v'¯)-« ˢᴬᶠᴱ & ˢᴼᵁᴺᴰ »-(¯'v'¯)-»

ASHLEY JENKINS HAD BEEN SHOCKED AND SADDENED TO HEAR OF NEWS OF THE DEATH OF GRAHAM. Although, recently, the two hadn't spoken as much. They had been friends. And Ashley felt that she was to blame; she had seen how Graham looked that day as if he was seconds away from passing out and or passing away.

"I can't believe he's dead," Ashley muttered into the empty studio; she was alone in the small place she owned. She had moved alone for as long as she could remember, and despite it all, Ruby would come over frequently so she didn't have to be alone.

A knock came at her door. Ashley exited her seat, pulled the door open, and saw Ruby. The other wore a frown on her face. "I wanted to check on you. I haven't seen you in one and a half weeks."

"You know, he came to me. That day," Ashley says lowly. "I said he should go home and rest. I-I should have said he could have stayed here-"

"No. No. Ashley," Ruby began to try and comfort the girl. "You can't blame yourself. You, stay here, relax. I'll cover your shift."
«-(¯'v'¯)-« ˢᴬᶠᴱ & ˢᴼᵁᴺᴰ »-(¯'v'¯)-»

Ashley had ended up going to work only an hour after Ruby had shown up.
«-(¯'v'¯)-« ˢᴬᶠᴱ & ˢᴼᵁᴺᴰ »-(¯'v'¯)-»

"The mayor's house is on fire?" Ashley questioned in shock.

Everyone had gathered around, watching in horror and uncertainty if the woman was inside.

"Has anyone called the firefighters?" Ashley questioned next. "Hey, what the fuck is wrong with you?" She asked when seeing a reporter photograph the burning building.

When two figures limped out of the fire, Emma held Regina, an arm thrown around her to help her walk. Only when Emma began to lean down, trying to place the woman down, she mulled and began to complain.

"Oh! Ow! My ankle!" Regina complained. "Will you set me down gently!"

"Seriously? You're complaining about how I saved your life?" Emma questioned in disbelief, coughing.

"The firemen are here. It's not like we were really in danger."

Emma coughed. "Fine. Next time, I'll just...I'll just... no. You know what? Next time, I'd do the same thing. And the time after that because that is what decent human beings do." The blond coughed again. "That's what good people do." They walked away.

"Are you okay?" Ashley asked Emma as multiple people surrounded her to check on her.

"Did you really rescue Regina?" Mary asked.

"She did!" Henry had run up to the group. "The firemen said it. They saw it!"

"You are a hero!" Ruby tells her.

"We Shoulda see if they have a picture of the rescue," Mary speaks.

"We can make campaign posters!" Granny suggested.

"Yes! It's been great to prove that you can be the sheriff!" Ashley smiled, agreeing.

"People will love that! It's a great idea," Archie agreed next. "Wait, so I'll get the photo, and then..." he began to walk off.

"Seriously, are you okay?" Ashley asked.

Emma nodded, smiling softly. "Yeah. I'm fine."

"You should still get checked out. See you later."
«-(¯'v'¯)-« ˢᴬᶠᴱ & ˢᴼᵁᴺᴰ »-(¯'v'¯)-»

On the day of the sheriff's election, Mary was putting up posters of Emma saving Regina. Ashley had been out in the hall, babysitting Henry. Even though the younger one claimed that he didn't need a babysitter.
«-(¯'v'¯)-« ˢᴬᶠᴱ & ˢᴼᵁᴺᴰ »-(¯'v'¯)-»

Archie stood on the stage, a podium in front of him as he spoke into the microphone. "Tragedy has brought us here, but we are faced with this decision, and now we ask only that you listen with an open mind and to please vote your conscience. So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to the candidates. Sidney Glass and Emma Swan. Glass-Swan. Sounds like something that a decorator would make you buy." He laughed.

No one else did.

"Wow. Crickets." The man spoke lowly. "Okay." He cleared his throat. "Mr.Glass, your opening statement?"

Mr.Glass stood up, walking over to the podium. "I just want to say that if elected, I want to serve as a reflection of the best qualities of Storybrooke. Honesty, neighborliness, and strength. Thank you."

People clapped, and Ashley rolled her eyes. She had seen Regina mouthing the speech. The woman wrote it.

"And Emma Swan?" Archie called up.

Emma looked up, approaching the mic. "You guys all know I have what they call a troubled past. But you've been able to overlook it because of the...hero thing. But here's the thing. The fire was a set-up."

The audience began to mutter, surprised and confused about what the woman meant.

"Mr. Gold agreed to support me in this race, but I didn't know that that meant he would set a fire. I don't have definitive evidence. But I'm sure. And the worst part of all this was...the worst part of all of this is I let you all think it was real. And I can't win that way. I'm sorry."

Mr. Gold stood up, cane in his hand, before he walked out. Emma took her away again.
«-(¯'v'¯)-« ˢᴬᶠᴱ & ˢᴼᵁᴺᴰ »-(¯'v'¯)-»

"Okay, okay, I'm here," Ashley said, pushing open the diner door. "I didn't arrive late to the party, right?"
«-(¯'v'¯)-« ˢᴬᶠᴱ & ˢᴼᵁᴺᴰ »-(¯'v'¯)-»

 "I didn't arrive late to the party, right?"«-(¯'v'¯)-« ˢᴬᶠᴱ & ˢᴼᵁᴺᴰ »-(¯'v'¯)-»

{885}