Chapter 56 - Spill, Zeke! Friends..?

SAGE'S POV

My brothers snickered at my remark, but the others didn't understand me, so they didn't react. Aunt Jully finally stepped away from me after making sure I ate and drank all that was on the tray aunt Stella brought and she walked away from me, carrying the tray out of the room. When she left my side, I noticed a figure sitting in a chair in the corner of the room, and for the first time after I woke up, I glimpsed Zeke.

"Zeke? What are you doing there, all isolated? Get your ass over here!" I called to him, and he jumped as if I had shocked him with a bucket of cold water, bringing him back to reality.

He seemed off.

Zeke didn't answer me, nor did he give me his usual bright smile, but instead, I was rewarded with a pale half-assed fake smile. Who the hell does he think he's fooling?

My best friend is clearly not alright, and I intended to find out why.

"Oh! I didn't notice you there, Zeke! I thought you had gone out with your cousins!" Abuela exclaimed surprised, though her face showed concern for him upon noticing his odd behavior.

"Zeke, why are you in that corner? Are you alright? I thought Shauwn had dragged you out with him and Hazel when they took Cameron outside to play in the garden." Aunt Stella was worried for him as well, but he was like a lifeless doll, uttering a bare ′I'm fine′ and a tight-lipped flat smile that didn't convince anyone.

Naaa, boy. You don't convince a soul, especially me. I decided and subtly signaled abuela to take everyone out of the room.

"Alright, guys, let's move to the living room and leave Sage to rest. We can catch up downstairs, and you can watch the footage you're so anxious about." Abuela quickly controlled the situation, and nonno followed her lead, silently ordering everyone outside. "And you should rest as well, Antonio." I heard grandma remark while everyone was walking out.

My father was still lost in thought, and abuela had to drag him out of the room, but other than that, only my brothers seemed to notice that something was up. They gave me a curious look, but I shooed them away, earning a scowl from Diesel.

Zeke was going to follow them out, but I threw one of my pillows at his head and waited for him to turn around. He stopped and looked down, acting almost mechanically like a robot, and stared at the pillow for a few seconds before turning to face me blankly.

"Don't look at me like that. Get your ass over here and tell me what's wrong!"

"Nothing is wrong, Sage." He sighed and turned back around to leave the room.

"Don't give me that fucking bullshit, Zeke!"

"I'm not bullshitting you." He mumbled without turning around and kept on walking away.

"You take one more step, and I will tackle you," I promised him and bent my knees sideways, crawling closer to the edge of the bed on his side to get ready to pounce on him.

"Stop doing that, Sage! Don't do stupid shit that puts you at risk, especially for a nobody like me! You have a child to think about now."

He can't be seriously angry at me for saying I'll tackle him! And the fucker thinks he's a 'nobody'? He has to be nuts if thinks I will leave shit like this. My daughter is no excuse.

He was by the door when I threw the second pillow.

"Stop doing that!"

"I told you, you're not leaving until I know what's wrong."