Chapter 21: Nott

The Great Hall was filled with an air of uncertainty as Quidditch resumed and exams loomed over the students. Gratitude and resentment mingled among the students, aware of the recent events that unfolded at Hogwarts.

Toni sat at the breakfast table with Ron, Harry, Dean, Neville, and Seamus. She ate her breakfast quickly, feeling a sense of urgency. She had ultimately decided to meet with Theodore Nott after all, giving him another chance to prove his sincerity in his apology. For Toni, it was a more positive outlook as he had immediately recognized her discomfort with his questioning.

"Slow down, Antonia!" Dean exclaimed, staring at her in disbelief.

"Do you have somewhere to be?" Seamus laughed.

"T-Toni is heading to the library to study for exams, right Toni?" Ron stammered, trying to cover for her. Toni shot him a glare, clearly unhappy with his interference.

She swallowed her food and looked at her friends. "Yes, I need to meet a certain grade, my father says. I have to fill my spare time since there is an early curfew in place."

"Well, when you get back to the dorm tonight, can you help me too? I've been incredibly worried about my potions exam," Neville pleaded. Toni managed a weak smile.

"Of course, Neville," she reassured him. Finishing the last bite of her food, she took a gulp of water and rose from her seat. "I'll see you all later."

Toni leapt over the bench and hurried down the aisle toward the exit. However, without warning, Ginny emerged from her seat at the table and collided with Toni. They both stumbled backward, and Ginny's textbook fell open on the floor. At first, Toni felt anger welling up, but as she realized it was Ginny, her irritation subsided. She quickly picked up the fallen book and handed it back to Ginny.

"I'm sorry, Antonia! I didn't realize!" Ginny said, her face reddening. She shyly took the book from Toni, avoiding eye contact.

"No need to apologize," Toni replied, trying to reassure her. But Ginny continued to blush, and Toni sensed that something was off with her today. There had been a shift in Ginny's behavior recently. Perhaps she was just experiencing first-year jitters.

"I forgot to tell you, but I think the Valentine you sent Harry was very sweet," Toni said, trying to ease the tension. "He's been busy lately with everything going on, but I believe he appreciated it."

Ginny's eyes widened for a moment. "Oh? You think so?"

"Absolutely," Toni affirmed. Ginny's expression softened in response. "If you need anything, Ginny, please let me know. I know your first year is never easy here. But for now, I have to go. I'll see you later, alright?"

Toni waved goodbye to Ginny before stepping outside the Great Hall and making her way through the hallway, down the steps, and finally pushing open the grand doors that led into the courtyard. She glanced around briefly, spotting a group of Hufflepuffs and a few lingering Ravenclaws and Gryffindors before finally finding Theodore.

Theodore sat in one of the archways, a book in hand, and his leg dangling off the ledge. At first glance, he seemed at peace, wanting to be undisturbed. Toni took a deep breath before crossing the courtyard towards him. He looked up, noticing her presence, and moved his legs aside to make room for her. He closed the book and placed it aside without a word, his attention now fully focused on her.

"I'm sorry," he said immediately. "I shouldn't have asked you all those questions. I understand how it may have seemed odd. I would feel the same way."

Toni looked at him, considering his words. They seemed sincere, but doubts lingered. Yet, she wasn't deterred right away.

"Forgiven and forgotten," she assured him. He smiled in response. "Although, I would prefer if we don't talk about my family anymore. I love them, but whenever I talk about them, it just reminds me of some sort of..."