Chapter 24: The Aftermath

"I don't even know how to explain all this," Theodore began, his voice filled with a mixture of frustration and weariness. The two of them had found a secluded spot on the floor, hidden away from prying eyes and ears.

Toni's aggression surged forth as she snapped, "Suppose you could start with the fact that your father is a servant of Voldemort!"

Theodore leaned forward quickly, attempting to calm her down and hushing her. "Are you mad to say it so loudly? If anyone is lurking about, they would surely hear you."

"Good! I hope someone does!" Toni sneered, her anger still smoldering.

Rolling his eyes, Theodore sighed deeply. He took a moment, rubbing the sides of his head as if trying to gather his thoughts and find a way to navigate the complexities of their situation.

"Yes, alright. Yes. My father is a servant of... you know who," Theodore admitted, his jaw clenching with a mix of resignation and bitterness. "But so is your grandfather, and let's not forget Malfoy too. Do you think I willingly participate in any of this? That I enjoy it?"

"Then why did you try to have me kidnapped? Killed, even?" Toni's voice trembled with accusation.

"I didn't have a choice. In fact, honestly, I didn't... care until after I met you," Theodore confessed, nervously adjusting his collar. "I meant what I said, alright? I don't have many friends. I don't like many people, but you... You just weren't what I expected. I thought you'd be no different from the others. But you are."

"Is that supposed to comfort me? Make me trust you?" Toni's voice cracked with anger.

"I told you not to," Theodore replied, his voice tinged with regret. Toni fell silent, her anger subsiding as she cowered back down. "We all told you not to. But you chose to anyway. I'm sorry. I really and truly am. I tried to stop it. I thought if I stopped responding to my father's letters, then he would back off... I'd deal with the repercussions in the summer."

"Repercussions?" Toni asked, her curiosity faintly emerging.

Theodore hesitated, feeling the weight of the topic. "You saw him. How do you think it will play out when I return home?"

Toni remained silent, the realization dawning on her that perhaps Theodore's actions had stemmed from fear rather than a genuine desire to harm her. She sighed, and the two of them sat in quiet contemplation for a long time.

Suddenly, the echoing sound of footsteps reverberated through the hall. Theodore and Toni jolted to their feet, retreating into the shadows as best they could. Toni peered toward the hallway, recognizing the silhouette and unmistakable presence. It was Professor Snape. And he was not alone. Walking alongside him was none other than Draco Malfoy. Toni cursed under her breath, the situation becoming even more complicated.

"Miss Rothley. Mr. Nott," Snape's voice cut through the air, causing Toni to look up and realize that Snape had halted in his tracks. Draco, looking perplexed, stood behind him. Snape turned sharply and approached them, his gaze fixated on Toni, causing a flicker of unease to pass through her.

"P-Professor Snape," Toni stammered, feeling the weight of his scrutiny.

Snape's eyes shifted between them, his gaze probing. "Care to explain why the two of you are down here, alone, in the early morning hours?" he questioned, his voice laced with an undercurrent of suspicion.

Neither Toni nor Theodore spoke, the weight of the situation hanging in the air.

"No?" Snape continued, his tone filled with a mix of sternness and curiosity.

"I got lost," Toni quickly interjected, her words spilling out in a hurried manner. "Theodore was helping me find my way back to the staircases so I could return to my dormitory. I was anxious about what happened to Hermione, sir. I couldn't sleep, so-"