Chapter 5 - Part 1

[Ren]

Slowly opening his eyes, finding Morgana laying on his stomach, fast asleep, Ren looks around, trying to process everything like usual.

'What was so important today.' He pondered remaining in his bed, taking his time. After not long, he understands.

"That's right," Ren tells himself, slowly facepalming. "We've got to talk to Sumire's boyfriend and... basically interrogate him."

Morgana, waking up from a deep sleep on Ren's stomach, stretches his limbs before talking. "What was that again?"

After a short pause trying to wake himself up, Ren responds. "We've got to talk with that Tomas kid. Remember last night?"

As Morgana nods his small head, he jumps off the bed before Ren rolls over, out of the bed. After his standard day of preparation for school, including a small cup of freshly brewed coffee, he observes the TV, noticing the fires again, remaining lit after the whole night.

"It appears that these fires have different properties to a regular fire." The on-site reporter reads out. "It seems that, no matter how much water the firefighters use, the fires just won't go out." Ren starts to grow a majorly concerned idea in his mind. "However, it also seems that these fires aren't spreading to surrounding areas. While we don't know the properties of the fires, our best option at the moment is to contain them and remove civilians from nearby buildings." Ren's concerned look morphs into a look of interest, confusion, and danger.

"Crap!" Morgana meows. "What do you think they're from?"

"I don't... know," Ren responds quietly. He starts to build hundreds of questions in his mind.

'This can't be normal. Is it supernatural? Is it some weird Metaverse crap? Is it possibly related to Jaldaboth... or Maruki? It's most likely the same thing that happened at the police station back home.' Either way, they have many questions floating around in all of their minds, even if they shouldn't. Their journey should have ended with Jaldaboth, then with Maruki, but it continues. This thought should have led to a worried demeanour in Ren. However, it doesn't. It fills him with interest.

Following most of the school day, Ren is less attentive to the lesson than ever. He hasn't listened too much to any class throughout the day, only genuinely focussed on the events that will follow the school day; Tomas, and his knowledge on the things he shouldn't. Eventually, after what feels like forever, the bell rings, to Ren, signalling the end of the school day.

He picks up his equipment from his desk and speedily stuffs his books in his bag, but in a different pocket than the one containing Morgana.

"Careful with the books!" Morgana yells, still in the bag until he pokes his head out. "I'm still in here."

"Sorry," Ren quickly responds. "Just don't want to be late for our meeting."

"Oh yeah, there's that." Morgana reminds himself, lowering his head back into the bag slightly as the two walk out of the classroom door. "Where did he say to meet us? Wasn't it behind the... school?"

Morgana's voice slows as he notices a bright blue light glow in midair in the hallway. As it grows into focus, the duo sees the distinct shape of a butterfly. A slightly exoskeletal butterfly.

"Lady Lavenza?" Questions Morgana as he slowly raises his head back out of the bag.

Ren continues Morgana's questioning at the same slow pace. "How did she know that we..." where his comment slowly fades out before he finishes the sentence.

The butterfly remains in midair for some time, glowing and remaining uninterrupted by others, before it quickly floats away, down the stairs.

"Wait up," Ren shouts under the school commotion as he races after it.