Chapter 16 (Splotching)

I drew that picture up there... I don't know why. It's Green the Rainbow Friend from Roblox if he was a dragon.

Foxfire with a goblin was a nightmare.

It took my mind off of the whole 'Neverseen Project' thing, but everyone was staring at me as I stood for announcements that morning. Their eyes were drawn to Dormien's bulky shape. Their nervous energy danced through the air.

I lowered my head in an attempt to hide as the morning went on, but Dormien was hard to miss.

I was sitting with my friends, Leo, Mars, Kai, Kayla, Grey, Marla, Tenner, and the Dizznee kids when someone snuck up behind me.

"Nice babysitter, Hydro," sneered a voice.

My head whipped around.

There stood two boys.

The first had short black hair and a smirk plastered across his face. He wore a level six uniform.

The other had matching hair and surprisingly, glasses. He wore a level five uniform.

"Leave her alone, Keenin!" growled Plyor, "Go pick on someone your own size."

"Whatcha gonna do about it, Talentless," Keenin growled back.

Plyor nodded at Dormien and he got the message. He stood up and towered over Keenin, hand on his sword hilt.

"Y-Y-Yeah, I h-have something t-to do," he stammered, "l-let's go, Gable."

He waved to the other boy and they walked away.

"He's a piece of work," sneered Mars.

"Why did he call you Talentless?" I whispered to Plyor when our eating resumed.

She looked down at her lap.

"Because I haven't manifested yet," she answered glumly.

I put a hand on her shoulder. 

"I'm sure you'll manifest soon," I said, "Now tell me about those two kids."

She perked up at the chance to gossip.

"They're Stina Heks and Jensi Babblos' kids," Plyor started, " weren't a good match so they filed a match fail a few years after Gable was born. The boys stayed with Stina at the Heks' unicorn ranch, I forget what it's called, and they've been jerks ever since."

Terin butted into our conversation.

"Don't forget that Keenin is coming close to Keefe Sencen's detention record!" he said.

"Really!" I quietly exclaimed.

Terin nodded.

Before we could chatter more, lunch ended and we headed off to class.

Today was the day of the Ultimate Splotching Championship. We headed into the PE yard and gathered around the Mentor for today.

"Ok!" the Mentor shouted, "You all know how this works. Tournament-style flinging splotchers at each other. Get hit? You're out!"

We nodded and paired up.

I got Tenner first.

"Going down," I said.

"I don't think so," he replied.

Let me just say, Tenner was wrong. About 20 seconds in he was covered.

I beat prodigy after prodigy until I stood in front of Keenin in the final two.

"Think you can beat me, Hydro?" he whispered.

"More than that," I said, "I think you're going to land flat on your butt."

"We'll see who's on the ground when I'm done with you" He sneered.

As we stood across from each other, I had a feeling. I started to pool the telekinetic energy into this supercharged ball in my mind, waiting for him to throw it. The splotcher hurled towards me. I shot the energy like a bullet and the splotcher flew backward, sending a shockwave toward me and the splotcher itself right into Keenin's chest. 

We both hit the ground and I blacked out.