014 Divine Absolution

CHAPTER FOURTEEN . Divine Absolution

     "I only get fifteen minutes for my break, I hope that's alright

"I only get fifteen minutes for my break, I hope that's alright.", October said.

They sat at the same table that she had with Rob a week prior. This time choosing a window seat so if she wanted to focus on something else she could look at the people passing the street, shopping bags in hand as they talked. Anything but the fact Elijah was sat in front of her, nodding to what she had said (he wasn't going to complain - he was surprised that she had even offered a minute of her time.) So far she hadn't had to resort to that, she could look at him.

He had his hands on the cup of tea she had made him. She didn't know how he liked to take his coffee and since they had limited time she didn't want to waste time making him a drink so she decided to do it he before he arrived - have it prepared so they could go straight to talking. She asked if he still took it the same and apologised if he didn't. He said he did - surprised that she even remembered.

She had also strategically chosen to invite him during her break, allowing them fifteen minutes so if things didn't go as planned she had an excuse to end the conversation. It had all been very thought out even if the decision to talk to him had been impulsive.

She had a strange revelation. A moment of clarity or stupidity that made her text him. Maybe it was just her mood that month and she'd regret her decision later, she was always changing her mind. Becoming a different person in tandem with each season that passed. It still felt like the right thing to do, it made sense to her. Without a proper conclusion, she knew that she'd always think about him. She was exhausted from hating him, she didn't want to fight in this silent war. She wanted to move on and she could only do that if she talked to him.

She had always thought she was a selfish person, that she would save herself without guilt. However, she couldn't walk away from a burning building (saving herself) without at least trying to put the fire out. Especially if someone else was still inside - going back to save Elijah. Maybe that was just proof that she was selfish because it was only to give herself a clear conscience, not because she cared about his well-being.

Getting a text from her was the last thing that he had expected to receive - it was completely out of the blue. They were working on the album when his phone went off, he thought he had put it on silent but the notification sound proved him wrong. He apologised and since they had already been interrupted he checked it. 'This is October, I didn't know if you still had my number or not. Call me if you've got the time, or text I don't mind.' It made sense that the one time he had forgotten to put his phone on silent she had texted, some things don't change.

Immediately he excused himself, saying he'd be back in a second, not looking at any of them before he was rushing out. They all shared looks of confusion. He went outside, not only for privacy but because he thought that the fresh air would help. He got another text from her in the time it had taken him: 'Or you can do neither and ignore me, that would be fine too.'