Issue #3: Unveiling Shadows

Ji-Hoon stood in front of his father's grave, the rain pouring down on him, drenching his mullet haircut and causing his bangs to hang over his eyelid. His mother stood nearby, engaged in hushed conversations with relatives, her red eyes revealing her previous tears. Ji-Hoon's gaze fixated on the epitaph, his eyes devoid of life. Carved into the cold stone of the gravestone were the words: Min-Ho Kim, Loving Husband and Father. Gripping his fists, his hand trembled with grief and rage. Who could take the life of such a pure and good-natured man, and why?

A comforting hand rested on Ji-Hoon's shoulder, providing shelter from the rain as he glanced to his right, finding the person holding an umbrella over his head.

"I'm sorry," Daniel Bennett spoke with a solemn expression. Ji-Hoon locked eyes with him, peering deep into his soul, sending a small shiver down Daniel's spine.

Clearing his throat, Daniel continued, "Your father was a dedicated and passionate worker. We worked together closely on something truly groundbreaking. He didn't deserve this." The man offered his condolences.

Ji-Hoon's intense gaze pierced the man standing before him, as if he was determined to uncover any trace of guilt or responsibility within him. Daniel blinked, then placed a comforting hand on the boy's shoulder.

"If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to reach out," he said, patting Ji-Hoon's shoulder gently.

Daniel discreetly slid his business card into Ji-Hoon's coat pocket.

"It's the least I can do. Once again, I offer my sincere condolences for your loss."

As a final gesture, Daniel grasped Ji-Hoon's left arm and opened his hand, placing his umbrella inside and closing the boy's fingers around it. With a bodyguard by his side, the man departed, his guard opening another umbrella to shield them as they walked away.

Ji-Hoon's intense stare remained fixed on Daniel Bennett's departing figure, his eyes burning holes into the back of the man's head. He turned his attention back to his father's grave, vividly recalling the final words his father uttered before his tragic demise in Ji-Hoon's arms.

"I'm sorry. I knew I shouldn't have tried to be... a hero."

The haunting echo of his father's voice reverberated in Ji-Hoon's mind.

A surge of determination coursed through Ji-Hoon as he contemplated the circumstances surrounding his father's death. The pieces of the puzzle seemed to fall into place. His father had sacrificed himself, attempting to prevent something dangerous from being unleashed from Horizon Industries—his death occurred in an alley adjacent to one of Daniel Bennett's buildings. Ji-Hoon slowly turned his head towards the spot where Daniel had disappeared into his car, watching as it drove away.

With an unwavering gaze, Ji-Hoon's thoughts churned with determination. "Whether or not you're involved, I will find out who killed my Dad, and why." he thought. The grip on Daniel's umbrella tightened in Ji-Hoon's hand, causing the handle to crack under the force of his emotions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"엄마? (Mom?)" Ji-Hoon cautiously pushed open the door to his parents' room, catching a glimpse of his mother hurriedly wiping away her tears.

"Y-yes, 자기?" Soo-Mi responded, her voice quivering.

"I'm going to school," Ji-Hoon announced, stepping into the room. Soo-Mi turned her head towards her son, angling herself towards the wall to conceal her tear-stained face.

"O-okay... be careful. 하지만 오늘은, 자전거를 안 타는 게 어때요? (B-but maybe today, don't ride your bike?) Her voice trembled with concern.