seven

"Thank you~"

Hanbin bowed his head to the convenience store owner as he left with two ice creams in hand, holding one out to his boyfriend. Zhang Hao accepted the ice cream, leaning against the store frost's glass window as he opened the sweet dessert.

"It's quite warm today," Zhang Hao hummed, biting the blue cream as he crumpled up the wrapper. "What are we doing today?"

"Just a walk," Hanbin answered, eating of his own ice pop. "My aunt made lunch today, though, and she invited you. She'll be at the restaurant preparing some ingredients for tonight because someone made a reservation for, like, ten people."

"Oh, goodness."

"She said that this happens often, though, so she doesn't particularly mind," Hanbin shrugged. He held his ice pop to the other and Zhang Hao bit of it, grimacing as he shook his head. "I think it's delicious."

"Tell me about life in Seoul," Zhang Hao said, facing the other. "Is it really as extravagant as people make it out to be?"

"It's very busy," Hanbin answered with a laugh. "There's so many cafes and restaurants, and prop shops and clothing stores... so many people. I love and hate it. There are so many chances to meet new people, yet so many chances to lose them."

"I'm guessing it's not as tight-knit as our little fishing village," Zhang Hao hummed. "Our quiet little town has nothing major. One tourist attraction — the fact that it's an island with amazing views. Other than that... nothing. I've had nothing spectacular happen to me — apart from meeting you."

"Have you ever thought of leaving Taeseon-gu?"

"Not really — I have nowhere to go," Zhang Hao answered, glancing up at the clear blue sky. "This place is all I know. Even as a Chinese person, I've grown up here. Maybe that's why I can't find love or find any reason to believe in it — I'm attached to the present. I enjoy this time where I can just... help the elderly, help my mom and... not experience any heartbreak."

"You're afraid of heartbreak...? Is that why you don't believe in love?"

Zhang Hao was quiet for a bit as he ate his ice cream. "Because the state I'm in right now is most manageable."

Hanbin hummed in thought. Zhang Hao looked at him, a small laugh erupting from his throat. Hanbin looked away, sighing softly to himself as he bit off a piece of his ice pop. "Wish I could say the same."

"Don't fall in love with me. Don't attach your arbitrary beliefs of love onto me — you'll just hurt yourself."

"Not if I take you with me to Seoul."

"I wouldn't leave my cute little town for a boy. My mom would miss me."

Hanbin chuckled, glancing at the boy. "I bet my mom would like you more than my ex."

"Oh — speaking of your ex, I looked him up on Instagram. Seok Matthew, you said? I found a few random accounts named Matthew, but then I found one with... a pretty smile. Seems like you have a type."

"Don't look at him or talk about him or say anything about him," the taller boy said quickly. "You're all that matters to me right now, Zhang Hao-ya. I haven't spoken to Matthew in... six years! Not since I met you, at least."

Zhang Hao giggled. "Good! I'd be upset if my boyfriend of over six years was still doting on his ex."

"Hah — I don't care about him anymore."

"Can't help but doubt that." The Chinese boy removed his body from its leaning stance against the window, turning to face Hanbin. "You only broke up a few days ago, after all. Naturally, he'd still be on your mind — I don't care, really."

"Uhm, shouldn't you care, though...?"

"Oh, right — we've been dating for six years in this story. I shouldn't forget my role as your distraction — oops."

"My boyfriend."

"Yeah, yeah."

Hanbin frowned — Zhang Hao was being oddly dismissive and snappy. "Are you upset—"

"I saw you on the phone past night as you left." Zhang Hao's expression remained unsmiling as he crossed his arms. "Couldn't have been your aunt — you phoned her just before you left. Who were you on the phone with?"

"My friend Felix."

"... I thought you'd be talking to Matthew."

"Why do you say so?"

"He seems to be very vocal about his problems on his story."

So Zhang Hao saw the news of Matthew breaking up with his boyfriend.

Zhang Hao laughed, shaking his head. "You can stop this now, I think. He's single again — don't you want to be with him? He—"

"Zhang Hao, I'm with you right now."

"I think you're wasting time being with me right now. You can go back t—"

"Jeez, you and Lix are the exact same," Hanbin scoffed, letting out a laugh as he spoke. "Matthew already left me. I'm not gonna go crawling back. I'm with you — you're my boyfriend now. Why would I go back to Matthew?"

"Let's face reality for a moment, okay?" Zhang Hao said suddenly. "I'm... I'm not your boyfriend. I'm a distraction for the next 11 days before you run off and find a real love story back home. You don't like me—"

"I do like you."

"No, you don't," Zhang Hao said flatly. "We met 3 days ago, and that isn't enough time to fall in love. You don't know me. You don't know my story. I don't know your story. There's no way we—"

"Well, what if we can try?"

"Try what? Falling in love? You can't love someone like me — someone who doesn't believe in love."

"Zhang Hao, what are you—"

"I can't be in this pretend relationship if you're really going to fall in love — I never wanted to fall in love, and I never will. So don't love me for real — please."

"Well, give me a chance," Hanbin urged. "If I fall in love – if — then give me a chance. I don't want to be desperate and I don't want to make you uncomfortable, but I want you to know that I will probably fall in love because you've given me the chance to see you as a boyfriend."

Zhang Hao was quiet. He couldn't control Hanbin's feelings, in the end.

"Fine."