34 FILTHY INFATUATION

Past

34| "Her chaos and violence."

"Nina, you look tense." Ji-hoon's voice jingled in Nina's ears, piercing her fierce focus on the court entrance where Aria had dragged Taehyung out. Aria didn't just take him with her, Nina felt as if she had plucked her soul out of her body. A few minutes ago, with a bright smile, Nina was doing a small victory dance around Ji-hoon, and unexpectedly her demeanor switched into gloaming clouds.

"What happened, Nini?" Ji-hoon grabbed her shoulder, shaking her softly on not getting a reply. His frowns exacerbated into concern when she kept gaping at the door with a berserk glint in her eyes. She was in a trance, appearing furious and ready to break any moment. However, this time she wasn't going to break.

"How could he just go with her after creating a scene in the morning, after kissing me in front of Ji-hoon in the most morbid way possible?" Nina thought. A tick took place in Nina's eyebrows, every lining of her face harshens. Her grip turned deadly against the ball to quell the vomit that was threatening to pour out of her in detestation.

Nina tried to convince herself not to care about Taehyung's actions or his unnecessary efforts to unnerve her. Deep down she was aware that she couldn't escape this boy when he was in the same room. His presence demanded attention and sent her body into high alert mode, even though she could hear his deep, mellifluous laugh ringing in the hollow of her chest sometimes.

Nina's composure and confidence were powdered as soon as she noticed Aria wrapping around Taehyung's arm like a snake, grinning at him with such seduction, it singed Nina's skin.

It wasn't something entertaining or new, she had witnessed them together during the years. She had seen Taehyung being cheeky and playful with half the girls in school. Right in front of her lockers, behind her seat, or her favorite spot in the library, Nina had seen girls buzzing around Taehyung like bees. They had to go to every place where Nina could be located. What made Nina's cheeks bright red, when the whole world was focusing on him, she always found Taehyung's eyes fixated on her.

"If I say how I feel, would you understand?" The question wasn't supposed to come out loud and it wasn't meant for Ji-hoon. The white of her eyes wavered as the new discomfort blossomed in the pit of her solitary heart.

"Huh?" Ji-hoon sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "I mean, I'm not good with advice and words, but I'm a good listener, Nina. I'll be here, I'll understand and comfort you whenever you need, whenever you want." Ji-hoon grabbed Nina's hands which were still squeezing the ball in a tight clutch as she looked down, feeling a bleak palpitation surpassing her stomach when Ji-hoon inched closer to her, so close until her face seared with his breaths.

The closeness wasn't as usual, not the friendly and normal one. Every fibre of Ji-hoon's being roared he wanted more from her, more of the mere friendship she was offering him.

"Nina, please look at me." Ji-hoon closely pleaded. The hard lining of her shoulders stiffened when he cupped her cheek and lifted her head to peer into her eyes. Chills onslaught her being, not the chaotic and toe-curling chills that Taehyung gave her. They were the uncomfortable ones.

Nina believed when two souls are meant to be one, the whole universe would fight for them, it's a conspiracy. According to Nina, she didn't see the universe working for them. No war, no combat of emotions, no spark stem within her for Ji-hoon.

But the war and spark for Taehyung beats under her skin. Painfully, forcefully, and unbearably.

"You are very sweet, Ji-hoon. But I don't see us that way." Nina stepped back, rattled by the pressure crowding her spine." Let's not ruin our friendship, please." Nina implored, matching Ji-hoon's premature intensity. Before her uncertainty could hit the roof, Ji-hoon smiled, saving her heart from sinking.