no use i just do

"Nobody wants to be alone,
But that is not why I want you.
See, I've tried and I keep trying.
But baby, it's no use.
It's no use, I just love you."
hayley williams

It felt weird for Taylor to be home after all these weeks. It was like he'd just arrived home from a long trip on vacation, so quiet and cozy. The only difference was that it was a hell of a bad vacation. After a quick trip back to Zac's to get his stuff, they were standing back in the hallway.

He turned the lights on, illuminating the light brown floors and white walls. The house was a mix of the two of them, wherever you looked, there was some of her stuff and some of his, although at this point, most of it was just their stuff.

With Hayley right behind him, he took the first step inside. Her hand had been on his back until then, as she popped out from behind him to walk further in the house, taking off her shoes with a content sigh.

Taylor stayed a few steps behind her, his eyes glancing around from Hayley to the pictures on the walls, just to remind himself where he was. It felt weird to him that yesterday he had no idea how to fix it, and now here they were.

At some point after Hayley had taken off Taylors jacket and hung it on the coat rack, she noticed his wandering mind. Her coming home ritual slowed as she made her way over, resting her hand on his bicep.

Taylor met her gaze, a small smile resting comfortably on his lips.

"Hi," She whispered cutely, tilting her head as Taylor pulled her closer to him.

"I love this place."

"I do too," she smiled, wrapping her arms around his middle.

She rested her temple against his shoulder, still looking up at him as a content smile tattooed her face. Taylor couldn't help but to lean down and give her a quick kiss. As he brought his hand up to cup her cheek, Alf began barking and running up to the two.

With a small frown, Taylor pulled back, looking down at the whining pup who was beyond excited for his owner to be home.

"Hi, buddy," Taylor grinned, letting go of Hayley as he got down on a knee to show the dog some love. Alf jumped on him, almost sending Taylor back. "You miss me, huh?" He laughed, petting the wild dog as best as he could.

"Alf, calm down." Hayley laughed, standing behind Taylor with a growing smile.

"Alf, tell your mom to mind her business, she doesn't have to be jealous that I'm your favorite." Taylor teased, shooting a glance back at Hayley.

"Alf," Hayley called, now crouching down as well as the dog quickly switching directions and moving to sit right in front of her, "Tell your dad we all know I'm your favorite."

"Jeez, thanks man," Taylor groaned, shaking his head as Alf quickly abandoned him for Hayley. "Can't be too upset though, you're my favorite too." Taylor told her with a quick wink.

"Go unpack your bag," Hayley blushed, not even bothering to look at him as she hugged the ball of fur.

***

Alf was laying on Taylors lap while Hayley sat on the opposite side of the couch, blankly watching TV.

They'd spent most of the day just lounging around, not talking all too much, but it didn't bother Taylor. The silence didn't feel hostile or empty anymore, now it was just comfortable. Giving them a chance to get used to being in each others presence again, after all that had happened.