3

3 - Homecoming

I couldn't speak. I was absolutely stunned. This call–this moment I have fantasized about for so long, it was finally happening.

I was going back to Cousin's beach.

Susannah continued, "It's a bit of a secret but, I've invited Belly to be a debutante this year. It's a huge tradition here in Cousin's beach, but it can also be a lot of pressure. I figured she would want her 'older-sister- there for some support!"

I was smiling so hard my cheeks burnt, "I- I don't know what to say, of course I would absolutely be thrilled to come but, I don't know if I can pay the travel expenses..."

"Oh don't you worry about that. We've got you covered. The family has missed you so much, we'd do anything to see you again."

"Okay, okay! I can't believe this is happening, wow!"

"You better believe it," She said, and I could picture her with her classic Susannah smirk, "Get packing alright, I'll venmo you the cost for the tickets so you can buy them tonight."

I thanked her profusely before hanging up on the phone. I couldn't believe any of this at all, after the longest five years of my life I now had the opportunity to go back to the only place I have ever truly called home. I would be able to see Steven, Belly, Jeremiah, and Conrad. After all of these years, Conrad.

Suddenly I was that same excited little six year old from so many years ago.

---

Luckily it didn't take much convincing to get my mother to allow me to stay in Cousin's for the Summer. In fact, she was in complete support of it. She knew that it would be best for me, and I would still be able to get a lot of practice on my surfboard for team nationals. I bought my tickets, spent the entire night packing, and maybe got in two to three hours of sleep before it was time to get headed to the airport for my flight.

I arrived at the LAX around three in the morning, I gave my grandparents and mother a goodbye hug and got ready to board my flight. It was a six hour long ride, so I was able to get in some much needed sleep. By the time I woke up I could feel that the plane had begun to descend, and as I saw the shores of Cousin's Beach from the plane window the excitement filled me to my core. At the airport, I was able to quickly grab my luggage, and then with the remaining money I had left from Susannah, I ordered an Uber to take me from the airport to the beach house. I picked up my phone and noticed I had a missed call from Steven from the previous night. I decided against calling him back right then, I wanted to surprise him with my arrival–assuming Susannah hadn't told him yet. I figured she hadn't, or else my phone would have been blowing up with texts from the Conklins.

When the car pulled into the Fisher's driveway, I got instant deja vu. At last, it was real. I was at Cousin's. I was home.

I stepped out of the car and felt the rush of the salty air as it blew past me, blowing my hair with the wind. The smell of the ocean filled my senses, and I paused for a moment to take it all in. There it was, that Summer feeling I had been craving. I took a deep breath in, I was ready.

I stepped up to the door and rang the doorbell. I smiled as I listened to the familiar hymn of Susannah's doorbell. The door clicked, and slowly opened in front of me, Susannah's home peeking from behind the tall figure in front of me.

"Are you one of Belly's friends or something?"

I looked up at the person who seemed to be towering over me. He was wearing a thin maroon hoodie with black cargo shorts. He looked like Adam Fisher, except he didn't. He had his same piercing blue eyes, and messy dirty blonde hair. Shaggy dirty blonde hair.