Part One - Family and Friends

The next course, English, includes phonics, handwriting and spelling.

"'P-h' makes 'f', 's-h' makes be quiet and 'c-h' makes cha-ching! Like the money machine Lilac!", Lavender displays her work to her older sister.

"Oh, are you finished?", Lilac detaches her head from the desk.

"Almost!", Lavender places her page back on her desk, "You're gonna be finished?", she asks.

"Yeah, I'm gonna be finished.", Lilac gets back work.

"Why do you think the teacher knew that we know how to read, Lilac?", Lavender asks.

"It's an advanced school, Lavender.", Lilac multitasks gluing her head to the desk and communicating with her sister.

"What is advanced?", Lavender questions her sister, pushing her pencil and paper away.

"'Advanced' is kids like us.", Lilac complies, looking at her sisters' action.

"What do you mean by 'kids like us'?", Lavender turns her body to face her sister.

"Kids who have a higher intellect than the bigger amount of kids.", Lilac speeds up her work pace for extra time with Lavender.

Lilac and Lavender are tied with a select few of their classmates when it comes to the sounds of words and spelling them. However, they are fairly at the same level as everyone else when it comes to handwriting. After their reading assignments, their thirty-minute lunch break finally arrives. Lilac and Lavender are in the cafeteria waiting for Abuela Labiba, who will bring the two their mid-day meals, according to their father.

"Well, I guess we have to work on our writing, huh?", Lilac looks around the cafeteria pensively.

The cafeteria's windows are in the corners of the high ceiling and walls, so as to let the sunlight shine down on the mahogany bench tables. Children in kindergarten through the second grade are scattered all over the area. Some students depart from their class groups, from which they entered with, to eat their own homemade lunches; as others go through the school's lunch line, which is nothing short of exquisite for those possessing expensive taste.

"Yeah! But we'll be better in that skill!", Lavender attempts to boost Lilac's confidence.

"Of course we will!", Lilac smiles with her restored optimistic energy, taking Lavender's hand, leading the way to a space of empty seats.

Their older twins – Judith and Judah – join and conversate with them before retreating to their class and exiting the cafeteria.

"I wonder what Abuela made for us today.", Lavender sits with her sister, "I asked her if she could make something with rice. So, let's think of some things that has rice!", she implies energetically.

"There's rice balls...there's curry with rice...shrimp or chicken fried rice-", Lilac goes on, hand on her chin and elbow on the table.

"Oh and vegetable fried rice!", Lavender interrupts.

"How about risotto?", Lilac puts her finger up, as if she's at an auctioning.

"No, that might take too long.", Lavender fans her hand at Lilac.

"Yeah, you're right...", Lilac goes deep in thought.

"I bet it's burritos!", Lavender exclaims.

"Well, I bet it's a poke bowl with the cooked salmon she wanted to make yesterday!", Lilac claims with firm faith in herself.

"Even though that's a good bet, she didn't get to make it, so, I'm sticking to my burritos.", Lavender trusts in her better judgement without a doubt.

"Well, she could've made it today! How much money do you have right now?", Lilac asks.