Part One: Family and Friends

After forty-five minutes of working, Judith and Judah finish their flashcards and start studying in class.

"Alright, the practice that began in 1962, when city pollution-control workers used dyes to trace illegal discharges from the sewers. They realized that the green dye might provide a unique way to celebrate the holiday. What holiday is this?", Judah asks.

"St. Patrick's Day!", Judith responds.

"Yep! That's five in a row now! Alright, my turn."

"Okay. The city of Babylon in ancient Mesopotamia was where this original holiday celebration was recorded about four thousand years ago. The Babylonians held their celebrations on the first new moon after the spring equinox and called this festival Akitu. Which holiday is this?", Judith asks.

"Umm..."

"Come on!"

"...New Year's?", Judah doubts.

"Correct! Now, we're done!"

"Alright class, there are five minutes left until your lunch break. If you're not done and you want to finish these in school, I will walk you back to class or you can study them while eating.", Mr. Owen informs.

Those short seconds pass as the twins decorate their flashcards.

As the alarm goes off, "I will accompany you to the cafeteria, so, get up from your chairs and walk to the door. If you want to study your flashcards during your lunch break, then you can bring them. But you mustn't get any food or drink on these cards." Mr. Owen takes his students to the cafeteria and walks back with those who are behind on flashcards.

In the meantime, Judith and Judah notice Lilac and Lavender. The siblings reunite shortly for noon before they get released from their seven-hour education facility. They conversate for a while and go back to their class' lunch area.

"Come with me!", Judith runs over to her recently seated little sisters and pulls them into a bear hug. Judah follows quickly behind and joins the huge embrace.

"Hey, sister and brother!", Lavender and the others all disperse from the hug.

"Do you like school?", Judith wonders eagerly.

"Yes! There's so many other kids here! More than at the park!"

Lilac chimes in – completely bewildered, "But...you wanted to go back home with Daddy after lunchtime. You didn't want to stay!"

"I knew it!", Judah's voice joins the sound of the cafeteria.

"Well, now I do! And there's fun things to do in here", she huffs.

"What about you Lilac?"

"I like it, but it's not what I wanted it to be. Everybody talked about kindergarten more fun than this. Like Mommy and Zuri."

"I told you not to want a lot from a place where parents just get rid of kids, didn't I?", Judah turns Lilac towards him. Her eyes widen as Judith pushes him away from her.

"Mommy and Daddy still want me! That's not true!", she holds onto Judith and looks up at her, "Right?"

"Mom and Dad are just too busy to homeschool, don't listen to him. Let's sit down", Judith reassures, seating everyone.

Judah shrugs and whips his hands in the air, "Then, what about Abuela?"

"She's too old Judah! Don't be ignorant!", Judith slams the table.

"Yeah, don't be ignorant!", the twins escape their worry and echo Judith's words, as well as her actions.

With nothing left to say on the matter, Judah stands from the table and walks back to his class' assigned benches. The lass siblings all watch their brother depart, not long after Judith notices Abuela Labiba enter the cafeteria. She catches her grandmother's attention as she walks and sits near Judah.

As Lavender emerges from the bench, Lilac pulls her back down, "Let's wait for Abuela to come over here, okay?"

"But, I'm hungry"

"It's only five minutes"

"...Okay", Lavender adjusts comfortably in her seat.

The girls sit patiently for a couple of minutes until Abuela Labiba walks toward them, passing time with harmless bets, while Abuela Labiba talks with Judith and Judah.

"Abuela!", they both say getting out of their seats.

"Hey, Judith! Hi, Judah!", Abuela Labiba walks up to them.

"You are sweatier today than you are every other day.", Judith hugs the lower half of Abuela Labiba.

"Yeah, well, I haven't done this in a while. This is your first day of school after two months and I've been skipping my yoga sessions.", Abuela Labiba admits in remorse.

"Adults are supposed to be more responsible than that!", Judah says bumping his grandmother's leg with his fist.

"Mhm!", Judith says doing the same.

"Aww, come on! Don't beat me up about it!", Abuela Labiba chuckles, "Here's your lunch. This time there's dessert.", she hands them their lunch boxes.

"Yay!", Judith exclaims, taking both lunch boxes, giving one to Judah, and opening the other.

"Where are Lilac and Lavender?", Abuela Labiba asks.

"They're over there.", Judah points to Lilac and Lavender's location.

"Ah! I see them! I'll see you when you get home. Later!", Abuela Labiba jogs up to Lilac and Lavender.

"See you later!", they both wave.

"Hey, Abuela made burritos!", Judith takes a bite.

"She did?"

"Yeah, open your lunch box.", Judith says with a mouth full of food.

"She did!", Judah opens his packed lunch, "There are cookies too!"

"So that's the dessert!", Judith picks up her huge chocolate chip cookie.