49 | Cake and Ice Cream

PAST(A few days ago)

PAST
(A few days ago)

"Hey, Niall."

His hair is messy yet somewhat damp as if he had recently been out of a shower, the sun brightening the chocolate brown. His daughter is held at his hip, her small hands tugging at the white t-shirt he wears and it's paired with brown slacks.

His unknown bright eyes filled with regret as they realise who was standing outside the door.

"Fuck, Esrin. I'm sorry I haven't talked to him, Sunny got sick this week-"

"Niall."

"-and it's taking longer than usual for her to get better and I'm worried and her mother-"

"It's-"

"-is breathing down my neck over custody rights because she's jealous of Remi and-"

"Niall."

"-Remi and I have been going through shit and my head is a fucking mess and-"

"Niall!" I shouted.

"Yeah?" The loudness of my voice snaps him out of it. Sunny starts squirming in his hand and he immediately knows what she needs. He kicks the door open more, beckoning me inside while he tends to her.

"You've been taking up so much of Harry's time. Usually, when he'd come over he'd be adamant on organizing her toys," he says and it's like a zig-zag walk through his kitchen with the toys laying around.

He sits her down on the countertop and there's already a bowl with watermelon sliced up for her and he feeds pieces to her.

Sunny shakes her head, glaring at her dad for offering a fruit. Not when he knows she wants the chocolate drops sitting right next to the bowl. Niall sighs and gives her what she wants.

"What's up? Why are you here?" He cautiously wonders, eyes telling me that he's preparing for the worst and dreading it.

"Harry and I's birthday is soon," I reminded him," I was wondering if you know of any ways to contact Gemma. We're having a party at the penthouse and I'd like it if she could be there since she's the only family he has...access to right now."

His eyes soften at my intentions and then consider the idea. "Personally, I don't have any good enough means but because you've told me ahead of time...I think I'll be able to figure out something if I get my hands on Harry's phone. All safe, you can trust me," he quickly assured me.

"I do, with this," I stated strictly and his eyes lit up. "Just make sure he doesn't find out," I say since I'd prefer this to be a surprise.

"Oh, yeah. That's for sure," he assures me.

"Good. Thank you. I don't want you to think my generosity is a habit between us, Niall. I'm giving you until after his birthday because I can't keep this from him any longer. If you care about him, tell him," I finally addressed the elephant in the room and I'm not talking about Sunny's stuffed elephant sitting on the floor.