Chapter 17

ᴊᴀᴍɪᴇ ᴘᴏᴠ

The next morning, I woke up with Kit next to me.

Last night, after my dad had shown up outside of my door, I didn't see him again for the rest of the night, so without wanting to make the situation any more awkward than it was, I asked kit to stay the night.

I knew the moment I left this room, that I would have to explain myself and what Kit and my relationship was, I atheist owed my dad that he had been honest with me in the past, with his now husband, Evan.

The thing was, I didn't know what to tell him.

Kit wasn't my boyfriend.

I didn't even know if we were friends.

We talked, kissed, and had sex, which is what a relationship was, but we both never brought up the subject.

Fuck, we both just got out of relationships, well I did anyway.

I still had yet to know about Kit's relationship with that... girl I met at the party,

I felt lost, but I didn't want to lie to my family.

Kit stirs beside me, so I turn my head to watch him, as he slowly opens his eyes in front of me, his hair sticking up in all directions, which makes him look cute as he rubs his eyes awake.

"Morning..." He said groggily, with a tired smile.

"Hey." I went to sit up on the bed.

Looking at Kit, I was starting to notice everything I missed about him the first time, like how good he looks in the morning, even with messy hair.

"You talk in your sleep, by the way." I point out, making him laugh huskily as he also sits up, displaying his naked chest.

"I've been told that before." He said, looking at me. "I hope it didn't keep you awake."

"No..." I pulled my eyes from his and then focused on my front door, a nagging voice in my head reminding me that I couldn't hide in this room forever.

"Do you want to, uh... grab some breakfast?" I asked him, climbing off the bed to walk over to my walk-in closet for some fresh clothes.

"With you?" I didn't need to turn around to know what his face looked.

"And with your... family?"

Ah, this was so fucking awkward, but there was no way around it now.

"My dad knows what we did in here, there's no point in denying it." I grumbled, putting on a t-shirt, then a pair of underwear.

"I..." Kit paused, making me turn around as I slipped on a pair of shorts. "Isn't this weird for you?"

"Not even just a little?"

"Why?" I raised a brow, looking at him curiously. "Are you scared or something?" I asked, half joking, before I see the look of concern on his face.

Kit frowned and didn't say anything more, making me shake my head as I tossed him a pair of fresh underwear.

"Look." I sighed and walked over to him. "You don't have to if you don't want to... If this is too soon or whatever, then you can just slip out the way we came. I won't judge you for being afraid."

"I'm not afraid, Jamie." He rolled his eyes, getting out of bed, showing me his naked body as he bent down to slip on a pair of my boxers.

"I just don't know what you plan on telling them... we're not exactly dating."

I knew he'd say something like this because I thought about it too, and he's right, but what can I do? Ask him to be why what, boyfriend?

I still don't know if I'm even fucking up to dating again, not since the mess with Hanna.

"Are we... friends?"

Kit looked at me with furrowed brows as he dressed himself in the clothes, he wore last night. "Friends?" He repeated as I nodded my head, watching him.

"I don't think friends do what we did last night, Jamie." He sighed, looking away from me.

"Would it..." He paused for a moment. "Would it be so bad if we actually dated each other?"

"We've already broken the ice, and I'm about to meet your family." He joked, a small smile on his lips as he looked back at me, now fully clothed.

"Kit... I'm not sure what I want, I like, I don't know if I even want to -"

"We can go slow, get to know each other." He interrupted me, coming to stand in front of me. "This could work. You have already admitted you like me..."

Kit leaned forward, his hand grazing mine as I watched him press his lips against mine, a soft and serene action that felt nice and personal.

"We're both adults, Jamie, we only live once. I do not want to miss the opportunity to see where this goes between us, do you?"

Opportunity... what he's talking about feels long term and more serious than anything I was prepared for, but that did not mean I didn't understand where he was coming from.

He wasn't wrong.

I looked into his eyes and searched for anything, something that gave me any red flag to step back and forget all about my time with him, but all I saw when I looked I his eyes was how serious he was, and how much he really liked me as his soft eyes looked back at me.

Fuck.

My stomach tightened, and just like that, I felt like I hardly recognised myself.

"Alright."

Kit's eyes searched mine, and I sighed, moving away from him with a roll of my eyes. "You better not regret this because I'm saying it now... I'm still an asshole, and I still -"

Kit suddenly wrapped his muscular arms around me and laughed in my ear as he nodded his head in my shoulder, "I won't regret it."

"I hope you won't either -"

A knock at my door interrupted what Kit was going to say, making both my head and Kit's turn to my door.

"Jamie... it's Evan." Evan's voice came out before clearing his throat. "Are you joining us for breakfast?"

I looked at Kit to see if he was ready for this, and as Kit looked at me, there was a moment of hesitation before he smiled weakly and gave me a nod, saying 'yes'.

"Be right there." I called back, grinning at Kit.

Despite the nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach, in that moment I knew that Kit was right, and I knew who I was at the end of the day, and I wasn't going to be afraid, or regret my actions, not when Kit makes me feel the way I do about him.

I don't know how my dad or Evan will react, and a part of me didn't care whilst the other part worried that I had somehow disappointed them.

If this relationship with Kit was going to survive, I wanted to do it right from the very start and not hide anything between us, or my family, and for that to happen, he had to meet them, and I had to tell them just what is happening.

"Let's go, I'm starving." I smiled before heading to my bedroom door.

Everything was going to be fine.

It's just breakfast, after all.

Yet something inside of me told me that I shouldn't be so relaxed, not when I knew what was waiting for us in the dining room.