Chapter Twelve

"It's just this back one right here." Kiara pointed to the tire as the guard walked up to it. "It must've been a slow leak or something." Valerie commented as she stood next to Kiara who was leaning on the boat. "Probably just been sitting in the yard for too long?"

"Yeah." Kiara replied sweetly. Valerie glanced to the side to see the boys not in their hiding spot anymore. "Yeah. I-- I got this." The guard said with a smile. "Thank you." Kiara responded with a smile. The guard kneeled on the ground and started to work on the tire. The guard looked up at the two girls with a look of suspicion. "Got it?" Valerie asked the guard who nodded and continued working on the tire. The three soon heard loud barking in the distance. The guard looked up from the tire. "Do you hear that?" The guard looked at the two girls. "H-Hear what?" Valerie responded and mentally face palmed herself with how stupid that sounded. "Oh, Tebow's got something." The guard stood up and looked around.

"It's probably just a raccoon, maybe. You know? Nothing to worry about." Kiara responded fast. "Yeah." The guard nodded and kneeled back down on the ground. "Yeah." Kiara repeated. "Keep him busy." Kiara whispered as she walked around the side to the other tire. The guard started to stand up. "Hey! W-Wait. Are you sure that tire is good? I mean-" Valerie couldn't get the guard to stop. The two walked around the boat to see Kiara putting her hair clip in the other tire to make it lose air. "What are you doing?" The guard asked with a slightly angry tone. "This one looks a little low too." Kiara sighed as she fixed her messed up hair. Before Kiara and Valerie could speak to the guard again, he ran off to where the barking was coming from. "Wait! Wait!" Kiara shouted. "Shit." Valerie whispered as she and Kiara quickly got in the car. Kiara started the engine and drove off hoping the boys would know where to meet them.

"Okay, we need to drop this off at my house and tell the boys to meet us there." Kiara explained as Valerie nodded. "Hey, you never told me what happened. Between you and JJ." Kiara looked at the girl who was staring out the window. She sighed and moved around in her seat. "You can tell me anything, you know." Kiara reassured.

"Well, when you and John B went to the lighthouse, JJ talked to me. He said he didn't think that kissing me would've been the right idea 'cause of the rule. So I guess I got mad or upset? I don't know. I realized that I shouldn't of when we were at the graveyard." Valerie sighed. "He really said that?" Kiara asked. "Yeah."

"Well, I think he's full of shit."

"What?"

"There is no way that he doesn't like you, alright? Fuck the rule! When you hang out with boys who are in your friend group constantly, it's bound to happen. If others don't understand that, then fuck them." Kiara explained as Valerie laughed a little. "You know, you stand by the rule a lot."

"I know. I realized that after I said it." Kiara whispered causing Valerie to laugh. "Alright, we're almost at my house, so we can tell the boys. My parents are at the wreck anyways." Kiara said. Valerie nodded. "Hey, do you want to go to Midsummers together? In the same car I mean. I don't think I can stand riding with my parents there. Speaking of parents, I haven't seen them in days..." Valerie trailed off. "Yeah. I don't want to ride with my parents either. God, they can be really judgmental you know." Kiara laughed.

A little while later, the boys pulled up with the twinkie. Kiara sat in the passenger seat while Valerie climbed in the back and took a seat next to Pope. "The Wreck?" John B asked the pogues. "Yep. I'm starving, man." JJ answered. John B pulled up to the wreck not long later.

"Who knew stealing drones makes you hungry." Kiara commented as she got out of the twinkie.

"What I would do to a beer and shrimp and grits right now." JJ opened the door as Pope and Valerie climbed out. "It would not be pretty." Pope said, closing the door behind him. The five pogues walked into the Wreck. "Hey dad." Kiara smiled. "Hey." Kiara's dad, Mike, replied. "How'd we do?" She asked, stopping at the counter. "Didn't turn it over once." Mike replied. The other four pogues continued walking over to the seating area. There were only two other people here. The boys stared at the food. Valerie rolled her eyes and stood close to Kiara and Mike. "Look at them, they're greedy pelicans, besides Valerie." Valerie heard Mike say. She smiled to herself, but that smile quickly faded when she heard what Mike called her friends.

"So hungry." John B whispered. Valerie patted his back. "Me too. I haven't eaten in days." Valerie replied. Pope and Valerie were the first to notice Mike looking over at the pogues. They started waving as John B joined in. JJ was caught off guard as he held a peace sign. Mike and Kiara turned around with a chuckle. Kiara turned to the four pogues who stood waiting for an answer. "Sit down." Kiara told them. John B rolled his head back. Pope cheered. The five pogues sat down at a larger table. The last two people who were in the restaurant left leaving only the pogues. Mike brought out the food. "Thanks, Mr. C." Valerie smiled at him. The three boys had already stuffed their mouths with food. "You're welcome, Valerie." Mike patted her shoulder. Valerie grabbed a basket of fries for herself and started to eat. The five pogues smiled and laughed with each other. John B threw a fry at JJ who unsuccessfully caught it in his mouth. Kiara brought JJ a jug of water. After she put it down on the table, she pointed at John B and gestured for him to go over to her. Kiara started to sway to the music that was playing. JJ smirked at John B who pointed at himself in surprise. Kiara nodded. Kiara and John B began to dance together.

JJ continued to stuff his mouth. Valerie, who was sitting across from him, nudged his leg. "What?" He looked up at her, almost choking on his water. Valerie laughed as she grabbed his hand and moved a little in front of Kiara and John B. "Oh, this is what you wanted to do?" He looked at her as he spun her around slowly before pulling her into him. Her back touched his chest. She felt his arms wrap around her waist. Valerie smiled as she wrapped her hands around his arms. The two swayed to the music as they held each other. Valerie turned her head to looked at JJ who smiled at her. That's when she noticed Pope standing there all alone. She walked over to him. "Don't worry about Kie. Come on." She grabbed his hand and led him over to JJ and Kiara who were now closer together. Kiara noticed Pope and grabbed his hands making him dance with her which brought a smile to his face.

Valerie smiled at the two as JJ pulled her further away from the three pogues. He brought her to the seating area outside. "Hey, I wanted to say I'm sorry for what I said at the lighthouse." JJ whispered. "No, I'm sorry. That was all me. I overreacted." Valerie chuckled as she looked out at the water. "No. I probably would've reacted the same too. I only realized what I said after I said it." JJ grabbed Valerie's hand. The two looked at each other. The only sound you could hear was the waves slapping against each other. JJ shifted his body as Valerie did the same. Slowly, they began to lean in. "Hey! We're leaving." John B called. The two pulled apart from each other. This time, JJ laughed as he picked Valerie up and carried her inside and towards the twinkie.