Chapter Thirty

The pogues were at the dump where they told John B to meet them. The Phantom was in the water by the dock. Kiara paced back and fourth. "Dude, where is he?" She stressed. "Give him a second." Valerie assured her. "He'll be here." Pope added onto Valerie's comment. "He's coming. He'll be fine." JJ said from the boat. A siren was ringing loudly causing the pogues to turn around and see a cop car. "Shit, Jayj." Valerie whispered. JJ looked at her before looking up at the car. "Hey, yeah. Get back on the boat." JJ told them. "Untie it." He added. "Shit." Kiara cursed. Before any more actions were made, Kiara and Valerie saw John B step out of the car.

"Wait." JJ chuckled in disbelief before adding, "No way."

"No. Effing. Way." Pope laughed at him.

"I'm sorry. What?" Valerie looked at John B who was walking towards them with his backpack. "You've gotta be kidding me!" JJ cheered. "Uh..." Kiara laughed when she saw John B was in fact not taken into custody. "Shoupe let me take it for a spin." John B joked. "Okay. That's believable." Kiara hugged John B. "Yeah, I'll buy that for now." Valerie hugged John B after Kiara. "It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for you, and she runs like she was made yesterday." JJ tossed John B the keys. "You ready to go?" JJ asked him.

"Where's Sarah?"

"She's not with you?" Valerie asked, looking back in the direction of the car. "No, no, we got separated in the swamp. She said she was gonna meet me here."

"No, we haven't seen her, man." Pope shook his head. "Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her."

"John B, look at me, i know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, you've got plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay?" JJ looked into John B's eyes. "Once you get there, lay low, alright? Hang out for a couple weeks and then go overland. Cross the border at Brownsville, you got that?" JJ added. "Brownsville." JJ repeated when he saw John B looking in the direction he came. JJ grabbed John B's face when he didn't respond. "Hey, you got that?"

"Yeah, yeah. Brownsville." John B looked away with a sigh. "Alright. Saddle her up, saltwater cowboy. Let's do this." JJ stepped onto the dock as John B climbed on. JJ moved in between Valerie and Pope to start pushing the boat, but John B stopped them. "Hey, uh, I'm sorry for basically... throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing." John B said to the pogues with tears in his eyes. JJ and Pope stood up.

"Hey, John B, yo... we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" JJ laughed, tears rising to his eyes. John B chuckled, allowing tears to slowly run down his face. "Yeah." His voice hitched. "At least we did it together though." JJ grabbed Pope's shoulders and Valerie's waist, pulling them into him. Valerie wrapped her arm around Kiara's shoulders. "Pogue Style." Valerie added causing JJ to smile down at her.

"Pogue Style." John B repeated. "Get out of here, please." Kiara said to him. They only had limited time. "Now. We'll see you in two months, down in Mexico." Pope pointed at the wheel. "Love you." JJ called out to John B. "Hey, wait--wait a second." John B paused trying to stop his tear flow. Thunder rumbled in the distance. "Tell Sarah I said goodbye, okay?"

The pogues nodded in response. "Don't forget. Cross the border at Brownsville, okay?" JJ repeated, unraveling his hands from Pope and Valerie. Kiara and Valerie stayed side hugging for a little longer. "Got it."

JJ and Pope pushed the boat as John B started to drive away. John B turned around to see his closet friends, JJ, Valerie, Kiara, and Pope watching him leave. Watching him flee the island. JJ and Valerie walked away from Pope and Kiara, giving them their space. "He's gonna make it, right?" Valerie whispered to JJ. Sirens wailed loudly, but the pogues didn't pay much attention to it. "He's a pogue. You can't kill a pogue." JJ responded softly. JJ's arms wrapped around Valerie's neck, pulling her into him. His chin rested on the top of her head. Valerie's arms wrapped around JJ's waist. "Right. You can't kill a pogue. Especially John B."