14. distance

"How long will you be gone?" I asked, tracing the words 'how long' over and over into his palm. He closed his fist over my etching fingers.

"The tour is five months," he kissed each of my knuckles. I blinked as I tried to look at his face, the lights in the bedroom too bright. "But I'll see you every month. Some months a few times, even."

"It's not so long." I wondered if he would look different in five months. What if I missed a new gray hair, or a spontaneous tattoo?

He switched off the lamp.

"Not at all," he grabbed his phone, holding it in front of my face, "And they have this new technology which allows you to contact anyone in the world at any time."

"Not any time."

"What do you mean?" He tossed the phone back onto the nightstand.

"You won't answer if you're performing." I smirked, and thought I saw him return my smile in the dark.

"I would."

"I'll do it."

He touched my cheek softly, "Please."

"I wonder what it'll be like without you," I whispered, heart stuttering, "We haven't spent much time apart since we met."

"You're not going to be without me," he stroked my cheek, quickly skipping his fingertips over the curve of my cheekbone, "Just a bit of distance between us."

I laughed, then bit my cheek, "I want to ask you to make a ridiculous promise."

"I promise," he pulled me into him, tucking my head into his chest.

"If I call you, and I'm not doing well," I started, then took a deep breath. I hated the way my voice shook. "If I call you, and I need you–"

"Yes, I'll come home."

"I know it's a lot to ask."

He took a steady hand and pressed it to my back. "Not really."

"I'll save it for emergencies." I let my knuckles find the warmth of his stomach. He squirmed at my cold hands below his bellybutton, but didn't pull away.

"You could just come with me, sweetheart."

"I could." The night was heavy, pressing me into an uncomfortable, sick sleepiness. His chest pushed into my forehead with every breath, and I fell asleep with the words hanging above us. I could, I could, I could.