Chapter 4

After a long hard first week at Chilton it was time that Lorelai came clean to her daughters. That from now on they were going to have to attend dinner with her parents. Anna was looking forward to it but Rory and their mother were not so pleased. Until finally Anna stepped in and offered a solution.

She proposed that they all get together the night before for dinner and some girl time, but made sure to emphasize that it would be "just us girls" so Rory wouldn't include the guy she was interested in and was all of a sudden around all the time. Rory was grateful, and they all agreed. The night before the dinner with Emily and Richard, Anna organized a girl's night at her favourite diner (Luke's) where the girls could laugh, gossip, share stories and well just have some mother and daughters time.

At Luke's, Emily and Richard were out of sight and out of mind. Anna felt free to show her true self and opened up more than ever before. She talked about her dreams for the future, and how excited she was to find a career in fashion design, and showcase her work at local boutiques - anything that involved being creative made Anna come alive with enthusiasm! Rory was surprised to hear Anna say these things. She was always shy and timid when it came to her own passions, but here she looked like a different person, bursting with confidence and vision. Anna could see the admiration in Rory's eyes - her twin finally saw her for who she was and what she wanted out of life!

Time skip next evening

We drove for twenty minutes, the car full of anticipation. Mom sat in front, her eyes fixed on the road ahead. Her mouth twitched with worry–she didn't want to go. Mom hummed as he steered us along a familiar route to Grandma and Grandpa's house; she was not eager for this visit home after all these years away from her family home. I sat in the back wondering what it would be like to be around people I only saw at the holidays. All that history of Mom's family before us. Anna started to fidget, feeling nervous and unsure how her Grandma and Grandpa would perceive her wild dreams of becoming an artist. She knew Rory was counting on her to make the right impression. Mom turned around then, and with a reassuring smile, told us it was going to be fine. We pulled up the long driveway, climbing the hill until we reached the house.

The generational wealth-building that had taken place within these walls was undeniable; the mahogany woodwork and crystal chandeliers spoke of a privileged past. Every room seemed to be blanketed in a hush, while sunlight crept through the muslin curtains like incense carried on a soft breeze. Structurally sound and often grandiose, every corner showed evidence of heirlooms crafted with painstaking detail—ornate tapestries covering tall doors, carved marble mantles framing ornamental fireplaces, delicate porcelainware gracing hallways passing by hidden parlors.

As Grandpa and Grandma met us in awkward silence, the air between them was thick and uncomfortable. Grandma stood stiffly, her gaze flitting side to side nervously. With a deft motion, she plucked a loose thread from her dress and twirled it between her fingers. Grandpa's eyes remained cast downward, his head bowed in silence as he kept his distance. Neither spoke nor met each other's gaze, the atmosphere of frosty detachment growing ever denser between them. The seconds stretched by like minutes until finally he cleared his throat and mumbled something about Rory's height.

While dinner was food was being prepared by the cook Anna and Rory were taken on a tour of the library. The home library was grand and impressive. It smelled like old books, the scent of knowledge and wisdom from a bygone era. Every shelf was filled with rare volumes, some leather-bound and others adorned with fine gold leaf designs on their spines or covers. A long mahogany table in the center of the room held several dusty tomes that looked untouched for generations while a large ornately carved fireplace offered warmth on chilly nights as well as an inviting atmosphere for relaxation while reading one's favorite book. In that moment, Rory realized how much alike they were both of them struggling with different dreams and goals. She decided right then and there that no matter what happened from here on out, she would be there for her twin.

While in the sitting room, Anna was relieved that the ice had been broken if only a little. She smiled and nodded, finding her courage to speak up. Anna and Rory smiled at their grandparents and sat down across from them. Grandma poured two glasses of apple cider for the girls, while Grandpa slowly made his way over to the fireplace with a stack of wood to start a fire. Anna shyly started the conversation, asking her grandpa about his day at his workplace. As they talked and sipped cider, they watched as red-orange flames warmed up the room, providing comfort in its familiar heat–a welcome contrast to this cold autumn night outside. Grandma asked about school; how are they settling into Chilton? This allowed Anna and Rory to catch up, as they discussed their classes, the challenges they faced while adjusting to the school's curriculum, and what their dreams were for the future.

Gradually a relaxed ambiance filled in the room as Grandpa seemed enamored by Anna's bubbly charisma which shone brighter than ever as she talked about her fashion designs. This was a moment that all present wanted to remember.