Chapter 1

Malia's POV:   

Being the middle child has always been hard for me. It's like no matter how much I want something, I can never really have it. My wishes and dreams just stay locked inside, turning into distant thoughts that I can't even ask for anymore.

My parents have their own plans for me, and I obey them. I have to. I can’t say no, I can’t speak up for myself, and I can’t stand up for what I want.

I feel like a puppet. My strings are pulled in all directions, but none of them lead to my own freedom. The things I truly want, the life I want to live, it feels so far away—almost impossible to reach.

It’s like I’m stuck in a room with four walls, each one too high to climb. There’s no door. No windows. No way out.

And no one seems to notice.

Daddy: "After visiting Marabel, where are we going next?" He asked while focused on his laptop, as if working on something.

Mommy: "I'll head straight to our Jewelry shop, I have something to take care of." She replied, busy with her phone.

Marvel: "I have soccer training, I'll just get off at home with Kuya Driver." He said, referring to our long-time driver who's currently driving the van we're in.

We came from the cemetery where Ate Marabel is buried. It has been five years since she left us. Looking at it now, it seems like the loss of Ate Marabel doesn't really affect my family. They don't appear to be hurt or mourn her absence.

Or maybe it's just me who's hurting and unable to move on from Ate Marabel's loss?

My parents are seated in the second row, right in front of me. Marvel and I sit in the third row, but there’s a distance between us that feels wider than the space between our seats. I'm on the left, and he's on the right.

It's like we can't see each other, like we're strangers. The silence between us speaks louder than words ever could.

Ever since Ate Marabel passed away, Marvel has been ignoring me. I don’t know why, but it’s as if her death created this unspoken wall between us. And the more I try to reach out, the more he pulls away.

I can’t help but wonder if I’ll ever be able to break through that distance. He still blames me for what happened to Ate. I miss you, Bunso.

"Kuya Driver, pababa nalang po ako doon sa dating gawi." I informed the driver and I saw how his eyes smiled on the rare mirror of the van. I'll drop off to one of my favorite place. To Ate Marabel's favorite place.

Marvel: "Tss. Plastic." I heard him scoff at me, making sure I heard what he said. But I ignored his actions. Ako pa rin ang sinisisi niya?

Daddy: "Who's with you?" He asked curiously as if I'm doing something bad, as if I'm a criminal to his eyes.

"Wala po. Ako lang po mag-isa." I answered as I hung low my head. I don't want them to see how vulnerable I am every time they treat me as someone who's not part of the family. They blame me like I was at fault with everything.

Daddy: "'Wag kang gagawa ng ikasisira ko, Mabel Ylia. Tama na ang ginawa ng Ate mo. 'Wag na 'wag kang gagaya sa katangahan ng Ate mo. Maliwanag?" He commanded sternly. His deep voice made me tremble in fear. I miss having a father.

Mommy: "Magpasama ka nalang kay Bryan para panatag kami ng Daddy mo na hindi lang kung sino-sino ang kasama mo." She added, sounding like I don't have a choice but to agree with what they command.