Chapter 4

Malia's POV:

I had just come from work, and as expected, Daddy scolded me earlier for submitting the reports he assigned to me late. Even though I finished everything and there was nothing wrong with the reports I typed, he still reprimanded me. It felt unfair, but I had learned not to challenge him.

After work, I changed into my comfort clothes and headed straight to my friend’s bar. I slipped into a loose hoodie, baggy pants, and a denim cap that Ate Marabel had given me on my 13th birthday. I didn’t want anyone in this place to recognize me.

I frequented this bar almost two or three times a week whenever I finished work early. Apart from our favorite fast-food restaurant that I used to visit with Ate Marabel, this bar was one of the few places where I could escape and just be myself.

Hidden Tavern—that was the name of the bar, owned by the Apulis, specifically my friend Guinevere Apuli. It was a private bar that only a select few knew about. Most of the clientele came from the elite sector or the business industry, and they felt safer here, knowing everyone was discreet about their family backgrounds.

My parents had no idea I came here after work, and I preferred it that way. I had to be home by 11 o’clock since that was my curfew. I wasn’t a heavy drinker or a partygoer; I simply needed a place to unwind and reflect, and I always made sure to get home safely, especially since I came here alone.

I settled into a VIP room on the second floor. From my spot, I had a clear view of the crowd downstairs, where people were laughing and enjoying themselves. Small bands performed every night on the little stage, filling the air with live music that made it easy to forget my worries, if only for a little while.

Guin: "How are you? You seem stressed today." She asked after taking a sip from her glass. She winced a little at the taste of the alcohol. She's a heavy drinker, unlike me who sticks to light drinks.

Why am I here, though? Because I want to hear some good songs. Besides wanting to forget about what's happening in my life through alcohol, I want to hear the beautiful songs that are always entertaining people here at Guin's bar.

"Yeah. Daddy scolded me again earlier at the office." I replied while resting both my elbows on the railings, leaning over to watch the people jamming to the band below.

I felt Guin approach my spot and mimic my position. She also had a glass of alcohol in her hand, just like me.

She was still in her business attire, and it seemed like she had just come from work. After all, she doesn't only manage Hidden Tavern, but also several other bar branches.

I'm really grateful to Guin because she always accompanies me here in her bar whenever I'm around. She doesn't want me to be alone all the time, so instead of mingling with the wealthy people who frequent her bar to socialize, she chooses to keep me company. She's truly a great friend of mine.

Guin: "Hayyy. Why is it like that, huh? We have a lot of money. We can buy whatever we want. We have the power. We attended prestigious universities. But why aren't we free?" She asked before taking a sip of her drink.

I didn't turn to look at her, but I knew it was just another gulp of alcohol, given the clinking of ice in her glass each time she drank.

Guin: "I mean, you, for instance. You're 21 now, Ylia. You finished college at such a young age. With your intelligence, you can easily find a job. But why do you keep imprisoning yourself with them?" She continued with her words.

"They're all I have, Guin. I promised Ate that no matter what happens, uunawain at gagalangin ko pa din sila." I replied earnestly, watching the laser lights dance in the dimly lit bar of Guin.