Chapter 3

Malia's POV:

The family driver picked me up, and we were heading back home now. I sat in the backseat, leaning my elbow against the car door, with my chin resting on my palm.

It was raining outside, and only a few people were out. The clouds were dark, and the air felt cold, matching the sadness I felt inside.

Today was our school’s career day, and I was in sixth grade. My classmates were excited as they dressed up as their future professions. They dreamed about what they wanted to become and how they would build their own lives, sharing their hopes with each other.

But for me, everything was different.

I’ve always wanted to be a teacher, specifically a music teacher. I dreamed of teaching kids how to sing and create beautiful melodies. I longed to share the joy of learning the rhythms of musical notes with them.

But that dream was denied to me. My parents didn’t want me to become *just* a teacher. According to them, it wasn’t a proper job. They didn’t want me to show that side of me to anyone at school. It always felt like their wants came first, and mine didn’t matter at all.

As I stared out the window, the raindrops raced down the glass, each one reflecting the tears I wanted to shed. I wanted to shout out my dreams, to let the world know who I really was. But instead, I remained silent, trapped in the expectations of others.

So earlier, I reluctantly put on formal company attire against my will, just like my parents wanted. They saw me as the heir to our family business, and I felt trapped by their expectations.

Luckily, my older sister was there to support my true desires, even if our parents disagreed. At night, we would have secret sessions in her room where she taught me how to sing, create melodies, harmonize, and vocalize. She introduced me to the world of music, which became my escape. Even when she got busy, I didn’t stop learning. I sought out music in secret, finding joy in every note and rhythm I could discover.

Lost in my thoughts, I didn’t realize I had already arrived home. My shoulders slumped as I grabbed my backpack before stepping out of the car.

Each step toward the house felt heavier and heavier. In this house, I had no freedom. In this house, I was just a puppet, obeying every command. I wasn’t allowed to voice my opinions or ask for what I truly wanted. In this house, I had no say.

As I walked through the front door, I felt the weight of my parents’ expectations pressing down on me. The walls felt like they were closing in, and I longed for a place where I could be myself, where I could sing without fear or judgment. But instead, I had to put on a brave face and pretend to be the person they wanted me to be.

Daddy: "You're here. How was career day?" He greeted me with a cheerful tone as soon as I opened the door.

His happiness was evident in his voice since I was wearing an outfit close to his profession. He was delighted that someone would follow in his footsteps.

"Okay lang po. Punta lang po ako to Ate's room." I replied with a touch of sadness and frustration.

I couldn't even look at him due to the mix of emotions I was feeling.

I wanted to cry because I couldn't stand up for myself. I wanted to be angry because there are people hindering my happiness. I wanted to let loose because I couldn't understand how they managed to hold my sister and me back from our dreams.

I walked straight towards the stairs quietly. Good thing my father didn't ask more about my day because it was totally ruined. Right now, all I need is someone to lean on. I need an ally. I need my sister.