Chapter 2

Malia's POV:

I usually stick to my go-to meal, the Jolly Spaghetti and Chickenjoy, the same dish that my Ate Marabel and I cherished. Every time I visit Jollibee, I can't help but recall those moments when she would order our food while I scouted for a table. It was our little routine, a simple joy amidst our busy lives.

Jollibee was our special place. Whenever birthdays came around, it was where we celebrated, as our parents often got caught up in their work. We would share laughter and stories over our favorite dishes, relishing every moment together. Even in our academic achievements, we'd come here to celebrate our hard work, leaning on each other for support.

But now, it's just me. With my sister gone, the empty seat across from me is a stark reminder of her absence. I try to enjoy the food, but it feels hollow without her laughter echoing in the air. Our youngest sibling enjoys the full attention of Mommy and Daddy, which is understandable. They’re trying to make up for all the lost time with him, but it still stings a little.

I only come to this place once a year, on the anniversary of Ate Marabel’s passing. It’s the only time I feel connected to those happier memories. But as I sit here alone, the joy has faded. I struggle to smile like I used to, and the void she left behind is heavy on my heart. I’m left to face the world on my own, trying to find strength in the memories we shared.

I was almost finished with my meal when a crew member suddenly placed a peach mango pie on my table. The surprise made me look up at her.

She wore a white polo shirt instead of the usual Jollibee uniform. The new crew member had a pretty face. Her brown eyes sparkled, and she had thick eyebrows. Her skin was smooth and fair, like a pearl, giving her an elegant look that suggested she might come from a wealthy family.

However, I found her a bit puzzling. Her smile seemed forced, lacking the warmth that usually filled this place. Maybe she was still getting used to her new job.

I glanced at her name tag, which read Mayla Jada. What a beautiful name.

“Um, I’m sorry, but my order is already complete. You might have given this to the wrong table.” I said politely, not wanting to take something that didn’t belong to me. But she shook her head.

Mayla Jayda: “Don’t worry, someone bought this for you.” She replied, her smile becoming more genuine, though it still wasn’t wide. I felt the urge to smile back, even if it was a little forced.

Her voice was soft and pleasant to listen to, and her accent added a lovely touch to her words. It was a voice that felt familiar, even though I couldn’t quite place it. There was something about her that caught my attention, a small spark of connection in the busy restaurant.

“Really? Who would do that?” I asked, curious. I had no idea who would buy me a dessert, especially since I hadn’t been here long enough for anyone to notice me.

Mayla Jayda: “I’m not sure. They just asked me to deliver it to you.” She shrugged slightly, her smile fading a bit. She looked around, as if searching for the person who sent it.

“Thank you, then.” I said, grateful for the surprise treat. I picked up the pie, its warm, flaky crust promising a burst of flavor. “I guess I’ll enjoy this.”

Mayla Jayda: “Enjoy.” She said, her voice brightening again as she stepped back. In fairness expensive naman niya pakinggan.

I took a bite of the pie, and the sweet peach and mango filling burst in my mouth. For a moment, it brought back happy memories from my childhood, and I couldn’t help but smile genuinely.