Chapter 12: Alliances

They both fell to the ground, coughing. I ran over to Jack.

Chris: "Are you okay?"

Jack: "Yes, it was the strangest feeling. I could sense everything he was thinking. He blocked out most of the information, but what I could get was that he needs you to help him with something. He wants an alliance."

Sphere: "Yes, he is right. I need you to help me defeat the other Sphere but we discussed this already."

Jack: "But what you hadn't discussed was combining bodies and powers."

Sphere: "Don't be absurd! That would never work."

Jack: "It will, and you know it! Why run from that fact?"

Sphere: "Because if that were to happen I would lose all of my traits and abilities. He would be in control."

Chris: "...and that scares you."

Sphere: "That terrifies me! All my life, I have taken on traits from others, and in all that time I have never considered that what I was doing was robbing them of their existence. I would no longer wish such a thing upon anyone and I would like very much not to let that happen to me as well. I need to go think about my next step."

He left at full speed, forcing me to not be able to follow. I helped Jack to his feet and we headed to the only safe place we knew at that point; Jack's mansion.

We entered through the front door and looked around the house. Once we were convinced we were alone, we met up in the study.

Jack: "Chris, there is something about Enzon that you must know."

Chris: "Enzon? You mean the Sphere?"

Jack: "Yes, Enzon is his name. Chris, he has never lied to you. He may have done a lot of things making you think he was the bad guy but he isn't."

Chris: "How do I know you can be trusted? He is a shapeshifter, for all I know you could be a copy of him with a different face!"

Jack: "My mind was consumed by him and so my body would have gone into a coma in the real world, correct?"

Chris: "How did you know?"

Jack: "It's common logic, but if I am who I say I am, then once we go to sleep, I can tell you all of this in the real world and you can trust me."

Chris: "That's perfectly fine by me."

I punched him to knock him out in order to make absolutely sure he couldn't do anything to me while I was asleep, just in case he was lying. I then quickly knocked myself out with a sedative and woke up in my pod. I opened my pod and sat up. I saw everyone gathered around Jack's pod, all except Kate who was still inside her pod.

Chris: "Is he awake?"

Jack: "Yes Chris, I'm awake. Now do you believe me?"

Chris: "Yes, and I'm sorry."

Jack: "That was a nice left hook but next time, could you warn me?"

Chris: "I'll keep that in mind."

John: "Chris, Kate is still in the DreamScape."

Chris: "She was with me, but I lost her."

John: "I take it you defeated the Sphere then?"

Chris: "No, I convinced Enzon, the Sphere, to let Jack go, but as far as I could tell he didn't touch Kate."

Jack: "Chris is right, Enzon didn't touch Kate, but he thinks he knows what happened to her and Chris, you aren't going to like it."

Chris: "The other Sphere..."