SIX

"Come, I want to properly introduce you to Mr and Mrs. Hartley." Taehyung says, standing back up.

Jeongguk freezes right then and there, ears pressed backwards on his head in doubt.

"D─don't wanna.." He mutters, staring at his feet.

"You are currently living in their house, bun. It's polite to do so. I won't leave your side, okay? I'll protect you in case anything happens." The tiger smiles, really hoping he can get him out of his shell.

"Promise?" Jeongguk averts his doe eyes back up, his nose twitching as he stares at the tiger doubtfully.

"I promise, bunny. If there is anything bothering you, just say so, alright?"

Jeongguk seems to ponder on it for a solid minute, nibbling on his lip in anxiety. In the ends he slowly rises to his feet, nervously holding onto the end of his shirt and trying to hide behind his ears.

"Okay then.." He whispers, deciding to put his trust in the kind tiger.

"Let's go! They're really nice people, you'll see." Taehyung grins, opening the door and stepping outside.

The bunny reluctantly drags himself after him, wanting nothing more but to hide himself back in the room the moment he was out of it.

"Taehyung-hyung!" A very surprised Sung-ho suddenly lays his eyes upon the tiger and happily bounces towards him.

Jeongguk stops dead in his tracks, watching the scene from a little farther away.

"Hey there, troublemaker! How are you doing today?" Taehyung chuckles, lifting him up and ruffling his hair, causing him to huff.

His parents laugh, shaking their heads whilst they continue to set the table and prepare breakfast.

The ravenette puts him back down, watching as he runs to his chair. Taehyung then turns his head towards his left, taking a few steps back towards the bunny's direction.

"It's okay, bun. Are you feeling alright?"

The aforementioned glances into the tiger's worried eyes, nodding in response.

"'M okay. Just─ just don't leave the room, please.." He stammers, hands disappearing into his sleeves as he feels his natural instincts weighing heavily on his shoulders.

The tiger sucks in a small breath, eyebrows contorting.

Fucking hell, little bunny. What are you doing to me? Don't say such things.

He hums in response, trying to calm his own nature down and sticking out his pinky finger.

"I won't leave, little one. I'll be right beside you, okay?"

Jeongguk nods, his trembling hand reaching forward and finding a hold of the finger he offered.

They enter the room and Taehyung smiles at the adults in front of him, nodding his head into the bunny's direction.

Mr. And Mrs. Hartley immediately pause, frowning at the sight of the prey attempting to hide behind the tiger the moment all of the attention was settled on him.

"It's okay, Koo. They won't hurt you." Taehyung reassures, unbeknownst of the way the boy's heart keeps fluttering in comfort at the nicknames and words he gives him.

His little nose twitches as his head sticks out from behind the tiger's back. He moves back into view, staring at the white marble under his feet instead.

"H─hi.. 'M Jeongguk. Th─thank you for being kind enough to let me stay here." He stuttered, ears hanging in front of his face from embarrassment.

Taehyung smiles widely, watching as Sung-ho's parents wordlessly fan over him.

"Nice to meet you, Jeongguk. Don't worry about it. It's alright, hun. We were just preparing breakfast. I don't know if you're still hungry, but feel free to join us if you're comfortable with that idea." Mrs. Hartley smiles.

"Our son Sung-ho can be a bit loud and much at times, but you really don't have to worry about him. He's just a little kid. We won't harm you either, Jeongguk. We're golden retriever hybrids. You can trust us." Her husband adds, grinning.

Taehyung glances back at the bunny, watching as his face slowly emerges from behind the white fluff again.

"Thank you lots, Miss and Mister." He bashfully voices, seemingly more reassured yet still keeps a very firm grip on the tiger's finger, as if he is about to disappear into thin air any second.

"I am quite hungry, bun," The tiger starts, really wanting to sit down at the table.

Jeongguk looks at him, oddly the words not sounding anywhere near alarming to his instincts at all.

"Would you mind if I eat with them? If you want you could go back upstairs, but I'm sure you may also watch TV if you prefer that." Taehyung adds, watching the boy shake his head.

"Alright, that's fine! As long as you feel comfortable." He says in a soothing voice.

"Oh, Taehyung! Could you please help putting the dishes on the table?" Mrs. Hartley asks, causing the male to immediately dash towards her to do so.

Jeongguk's eyes drastically widen, suddenly feeling as if he's standing in the open. His white ears droop backwards on his head and his heartbeat picks up.

"There! All set." The husband doesn't waste any time sitting down next to his son the moment everything is settled.

Taehyung sits down next to him, the woman following after, leaving one empty chair between her and Sung-ho.

They all turn to look at the prey present in the room, watching as his hands are clutched into tight little fists next to his side. His entire demeanour tenses up from anxiety.

"It's alright, Jeongguk." Mr. Hartley says, not sure why he isn't sitting down.

The bunny stares at the seat for a few seconds longer, before his eyes find the tiger's confused ones again. His feet subconsciously start moving and within a split second he's standing right behind him.

Taehyung shares a couple of glances with the adults, all utterly dumbfounded.

Sung-ho's parents chuckle in slight awkwardness and astonishment, shaking their heads.

"Alright! Well, let's dig in." The woman says, causing Taehyung to grab his chopsticks and automatically reach for a mouth-watering plate filled with seasoned meat.

It's only when he takes a bite, he freezes, putting it away with guilt, remembering the little bunny hiding behind him.

"Are you sure you don't want to sit down, bun?" He turns his head to ask, eyes immediately finding his in attempt to recover internally from what he just did.

Of course the boy shakes his head, "It's okay, Taehyungie-hyung. Enjoy your meal." He says, disliking the way the elder stopped eating because of him.

The tiger gives him a smile, "Thank you, bunny," His eyes find a carrot next to one of the plates. He grabs it, turning back around.

"Here you go. Your kind likes this, right?"

He watches as the younger's eyes slightly widen, hand reaching forward to take it from him.

"T─thank you, tiger." He shyly mumbles, starting to nibble away on it.