SEVENTEEN

"We need to talk."

Is what Taehyung exclaims the moment he sits down on his bed in his dorm, immediately catching Jimin's attention.

"Of course, what's up?" The fox responds, pausing whatever he was doing and turning to look at him in full seriousness.

"You said you know things about bunnies, right? Well, I really need your help. I've tried the internet, but even that fails to provide me a proper answer. I'm feeling like I'm going crazy. I need to know everything you know about them." The tiger says, pinching the bridge of his nose with a sigh out of pure frustration.

"Jeongguk again? What happened? The last time you asked me about his kind you told me he held your pinky." He stifles on a chuckle, but understands the other's worries.

"Yeah, well, god─" Taehyung stammers.

"I really should've talked to you sooner. It has gotten.. worse. Like, to the point it feels as if he's stalking after me instead of the other way around. Almost as if I'm the prey, like backward predation or something." He tries to joke, chuckling airily.

Only now he realises that when Mrs. Hartley said it would've been better for the bunny to go back to his own territory, she perhaps really was right.

"It really can't be that bad." Jimin laughs, his red, perky short ears flattening on the top of his head.

Taehyung's brows crash together. Clacking his tongue, he leans back on his bed and goes,

"He tried to scent me. Twice."

Now that shut Jimin up real quick.

"He keeps on wanting to be close to me. He's always an arm-length away, always wants me to touch his ears. According to the Hartley's, he barely comes out of his room, only to eat a few bites before he hides again. But when I'm there, he's perfectly fine─ except for the fact that he isn't fine, because he shouldn't be when he's near me," He goes on, watching the fox's face turning pale.

"Everytime I say I have to leave, he turns impossibly sad. It got worse and worse over time, and I hate making him cry because of it. He keeps on asking me if he can come with me or whether I can stay the night over there and I have to turn him down over and over again." He groans, clenching and unclenching his jaw.

"Taehyung?" Jimin starts a minute later, in the most serious tone the other has ever heard.

He glances back at him.

"You have to send him back to his own territory." The fox continues, causing the expression on Taehyung's face to turn stoic.

"The Hartley's keep on telling me the same thing, but you have to understand─ he got here because he used to get severely bullied, Jimin. I don't want to send him back to that same place. I don't want that on my conscience."

"Would you rather have the fact that he sees you as his mate on your conscience, then?" Jimin suddenly exclaims, causing Taehyung's heart to drop to the bottom pit of his stomach.

"He what?" He barely manages to breathe out, a deep frown embedded on his features.

"It makes perfect sense, Taehyung. Think about it. He's a prey species─ probably the most uncertain and doubtful kind out there. Their instincts keep them on constant alert. You gave him more safety and security in the past month and a half than he has ever experienced or ever will in his entire life. You tuned in to his instincts just right. Considering how good you are with little kids, I assume your caring side amplified the moment you stumbled upon him─ purely because you wanted him to be okay, even though you have no idea how to take care of a prey." The fox clears up, causing the tiger's throat to run dry.

"But that still doesn't mean he sees me as his.." The ravenette doesn't even want to finish that sentence.

"You shouldn't have acted like his provider! Do you know the role you took upon you? You subconsciously did almost everything two bunnies would normally do for one another to keep each other safe, to like each other enough to mate! No wonder he acts the way he does.. Along with that comes severe separation anxiety!" Jimin slightly raises his voice, feeling himself getting worked up.

"How could you not have noticed?! In what world did you manage to overlook such a great detail?!" The fox continues, now really understanding why his best friend came back home every single day looking conflicted as hell.

"B─because I have absolutely no knowledge about bunnies on that topic─" He stammers, biting on his tongue.

Bullshit, Taehyung. Deep down you knew what was happening wasn't a total question mark, but a certain part of you liked it too much to do anything about it. You fucking liked it, you freak.

"There is no way you were that oblivious. Him wanting you so close all the time? Following you around everywhere? Him wanting you to touch his fucking ears, hugging you, holding your hand, attempting to scent you, Taehyung?!" Jimin interrupts, getting angry at his friend at this point. He does not understand how his best friend could've made such a huge mistake.

"Bunnies are very, very territorial over what belongs to them, Tae. The moment he scented you for the first time, you were his. That's how he sees it, at least." The fox sighs out, quieting down.

"Tigers are very territorial too. I don't feel that way about him." Taehyung exclaims, yet there seems to be a lump in his throat as he does.

Jimin raises his eyebrow, a chuckle slipping past his lips.

"Is that so? Do you really now?" He taunts.

"You've only told me about him out of all our friends, because you want as less people to know about him as possible. Whenever you talk about him you have this spark in your eyes and your tail starts swishing. Cats don't tend to move their tails, unless something is bothering them," He pauses for a second before he continues.

"And as a predator, that little prey over there shouldn't bother you at all."

Taehyung gulps thickly, casting his eyes downwards. His beating organ is hammering inside its confinements and he suddenly feels as if he's been found out.

"No, you're wrong," The tiger stubbornly retorts. "He does not see me like that. I'm certain of it."

The red fox laughs humourlessly, flopping himself down on his bed.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, Tae. But one thing is for sure─ you have to send him back over the border. Whatever is going on isn't normal and it has to stop, right now."