Step by Step

(Kaminari's POV)

"Okay, we're all set. Kyo, are you ready?"

"I'm here, I'm ready."

"Alright. Here we go."

This is a big moment. We've waited about six months for this moment.

Kaiya's first time trying solid food.

We bought a few different baby foods for her to try. I think we're going to start with vegetables first, though.

"Which one do you think she'll like best?" I ask.

"Hmm...why don't we let her choose?"

"Oh, that's a good idea."

Kaiya was sitting in her high chair. I put the little jars of baby food in front of her.

"Okay, Kai-kai. Which one do you wanna try?'

She looks at the jars. Eventually, she touches the orange one.

"Oh, sweet potato! I think you'll like this one."

I put the other jars aside for now. Kaiya watches me as I take the little baby spoon and scoop out a bit of food for her.

"Kaiya, say ah!" I hold the spoon out for her.

She was hesitant at first, but she takes the bite. The way her eyes lit up when she tasted it told us she liked it.

Kyouka and I both laugh.

"Is it good, baby girl?" Kyouka wipes the food off of Kaiya's face.

Kaiya always smiles at her mama. It's adorable.

"Here, Kyo." I say, "You wanna feed her one more?"

"Oh, yeah. Just two spoons, you think?"

"Yeah, for now."

All of these baby milestones are coming fast, it seems like. Kaiya's first teeth started coming in. She can sit on her own now. She can laugh, like really laugh. I think she'll be able to crawl soon, too. Kaiya's a happy little baby.

I'm a proud dad.

I think Kyouka and I are doing a pretty good job so far. We make a good team.

Kaiya sleeps almost completely through the night now, so Kyo and I get more sleep these days, too.

We're still taking turns going into work and staying home with Kaiya. We're lucky our jobs are letting us work this schedule. They're surpsingly very flexible unless something urgent comes up. Heroes are heroes, but most of them have very strong family values, so they understand our situation.

I'm scheduled to go on my first big mission in a long time soon. The last time I went on one was before Kaiya was born. I've only been doing smaller things since then. I've been doing a lot of training and sparring with Sero to make sure I'm ready for it. I can't be rusty. When you're a hero, there's not much room for error.

Kyouka says she's been doing small missions, too. That, and she's been helping to train the new recruits at her agency. It seems like we're always busy.

____________

"Do you want me to get dinner started? I can cook something." Kyouka says.

"No, it's okay. I can buy dinner on my way home."

I'm working a little later than expected today, so I called Kyouka to let her know.

"Oh, okay. I'll see you when you get home then."

"Alright, love. I gotta get back to work-"

I hear her gasp, "Kaiya!"

"What? What happened?" I ask frantically.

"She's crawling..!"

Kaiya's never crawled before. This was her first time.

"Aw, man. I missed it!"

Kyouka laughs, "Don't worry, I'm sure she'll do it again when you're home. Good job, Kai-kai!"

I can hear Kaiya giggling in the background, which makes me smile.

"Alright, alright. I'll hurry home." I say, "I'll see my girls soon. Love you, Kyo."

"I love you too, Denki. Get home safe."

The call ends just as Sero walks into the room.

"Was that Jirou?" He asks.

"Yeah, it was."

"How's she doing? And your kid?"

"She's good. They're both good. It seems like Kaiya's growing up so fast." I say.

"How old is she now?"

"Six months."

"Wow...already? Seems like just yesterday you and Jirou were getting married."

"Yeah. Time flies."

____________

It feels kind of strange. Like the goals I set for myself in high school have already been met.

I don't know what to do next.

I guess I don't always have to do something. Being with Kyouka and having Kaiya is already more than I could've asked for. My life feels complete, yet incomplete. I don't know how to explain in.

Maybe my next goal will just be improving myself as a hero.

But at the same time, I don't want to distance myself too far from my family.

Sometimes, I wonder what things would have been like if Kyouka and I weren't heroes. If we were just normal people, living normal lives.

Maybe I wouldn't be so scared.

But then again, it's because of our goal of becoming heroes that we even crossed paths in the first place.

It can be confusing. I don't know what I want sometimes.

Sometimes, I'll feel empty. For no reason at all. I have a wife and a family who love me. I have a job that I enjoy doing. I feel proud of myself, yet I still feel empty.

"Hey, you okay?"

I snap back to reality. I was sitting on the bed, and I guess I spaced out in my own thoughts.

I didn't even realize Kyouka was standing in front of me until she said something.

"Yeah...I'm okay."

She sits down next to me, "Are you sure you're okay? You sound like something's bothering you."

I sigh, "I don't know how to explain it."

She puts her hand on my shoulder, "Just do your best. I'll listen."

"I'm happy. I really am." I say, "But something inside me feels empty. I don't know why."

"You feel like you're missing something?"

I nod slowly.

"Do you feel like you want change?" She asks.

"I'm exactly where I want to be. This is the life I've always wanted. That's why I dont understand..."

She wraps her arms around me, pulling me into her embrace.

"I'm here for you." She says, "If you want something to change, just tell me. We can work things out."

I hold her tight, "It's not your fault. It's never because of you."

I wanted to make sure she knew that.

"Still. I want to help you. I want you to feel alright." She kisses my cheek.

"I think...I'm just trying to figure out where I want to go next. I need something to work towards."

My family will always be my motivation, but I need a goal. I need a purpose.

I already have my purpose as a dad and a husband.

But I need to find my purpose as a hero.