𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

ASAHI
————————

She sat quietly in her seat. The dining room was silent while everyone was digging into their food.

It has been a few days since she's ended up here and the wounds have been better I assume. She's walking more steadily. By her request, I let her out of her room. It's not like she has anywhere to run, the whole house is guarded. Even if she tries there is no hope. I don't think she will though. She has nowhere to go from here.

Her eyes wander around the table while slowly chewing on the chicken meat.

She looks slightly to her right and then to the guard who sits on the opposite side. "Can you pass me the salt?" She said to him shyly.

His eyes narrowed at her and he slowly nodded. Before he could take the salt, I extended my hand and grabbed it myself. I handed it to her and I saw her face transform in a look of confusion.

My blood boiled. I tightened my grip on the chapsticks, almost breaking them. Why was she asking him when I was here? I could have easily taken it as well.

The guard didn't lift his head. Good. He has no right to look at her. He shouldn't be looking at her.

"Leave everyone!" I spoke after a minute. All of them quickly stood up without thinking twice. They took their plates and hurried out of the dining room.

When I faced Evangelina, her shoulders were slumped down and her eyes were filled with disbelief.

"They were still eating." She said with a piece of chicken in her mouth. Her cheeks were full of food and she looked adorable. Her hair was up and her face was on full display. A few strands of her long bangs were down her forehead.

Her face looked healthier and the dark circles around her eyes were gone. Her cheeks have gotten more colorful.

I straightened myself on the seat when I noticed that I was staring at her like a lost puppy. Clearing my throat, I averted my eyes on my plate.

"You should not be talking to them." My voice held a strict tone to it.

"And why not?" She raised her eyebrow.

"Because I said so." There was no other explanation.

"There is clearly something wrong with you." Shaking her head, she continued eating her food.

Yes, there was. There was something wrong with me because I should not be having these thoughts about her. My mind should not wander to her every second of the day. My heart should not feel at peace when I walk into her room and when I see her doe-like eyes.

There should not be any heartbeat increase every time she speaks to me. I should not be liking how her skin felt under my fingertips. I should not be liking any of it but here I was.

She was my enemy's daughter, damn it.

The only person I should not be thinking about.

My jaw clenched and I pushed the chair back. Standing up, I threw the napkin on the table and turned around.

I couldn't stand this anymore, I had to get away from her for a while. At least as much as I could because she was pulling me to her like a magnet.

Turning around, I left the dining room, torturing myself to not give her another glance. It was hard not looking at her.

With long strides, I crossed the hallways and walked to my office. The peaceful silence greeted me like a welcome hug.

It was where I was able to clear my head. At least before she barged into my mind and build a place for herself. My legs carried me to the chair placed behind the dark wooden table. I lowered myself on it and let out a sigh. Running my hand over my face, my body relaxed into the leather feel of the material.