Serenity Under the Charioteer

As usual, even after hours, the feast continued. Music still roamed in all spaces. There were unceasing servings of food and wine, and tales from friendly companions were never-ending.

Yet despite the invitations for good conversations, Athena retired and went towards her chamber. But before she could do so, the goddess stood by a balcony to once more stare at the constellation, which was just an hour old.

"Good to see you again, my son." She greeted him with a sweet smile. Her joy was immense during that period. Indeed, her positive light overflowed that she could spare even for an upcoming rainy day.

"You seemed to be in a better spirit."

Athena was startled. She turned around to see the newcomer and realized it was only Ares—the deity who had taken the veil off from her façade.

"Oh," She lightly gasped, "It is only you."

Ares sniggered as he brushed his dark hair. "How does it feel to be the star of the night?"

"Star? Oh, no—not me. My son is the star." She gazed back to the heaven where the charioteer twinkled upon them. "See how lovely he glimmered at us?"

Ares followed, looking at the constellation that was truly a marvel.

He never really cared about those ornaments that wandered in the sky. He knew of their purpose, yet he paid no heed. However, now that he had caught sight of the new cluster, he finally understood its beauty. "A spectacular light." He concluded.

"So," She sighed, looking back at him. "Do you have something to tell me?"

The god paused, not responding to her innocent wondering. After admiring the constellation, Ares promptly invited, "Love to have some wine?"

One brow raised, perplexed. Ares's character on that day was a circus. In the morning, he was the usual thorn and nuisance. But during the evening feast, he suddenly became friendly—even showing a slight toothy grin at her that she never thought could happen. "Did you just? Well, I am going to bed now." Athena disclaimed, feeling reluctant to his invitation.

"Come one now. Just a sip."

"You are persuasive."

"Indeed. I just need someone to talk to."

"How about your paramour?"

"Who?" Ares smoldered.

"Oh, do not play games with me, Ares. I want a deep slumber. If you want some conversation, you can have it in the ballroom. Everyone is in good time and open to converse with you."

"You know that they all despised me."

"And you think that I did not?" Athena pouted. "Do not be silly."

He laughed, giving off a positive aura instead of quarreling with her. "Ha! Ha! I know. You need not to remind me. So, will you accept my lowly request?"

The third offer. Athena realized that he had been opening his hands to her and could not tell if this was some scheme or just being honest.

But, the more Ares persuaded, Athena finally said yes.

"Oh, alright." Exasperated, the goddess placed her hand on his.

"Thank you, benevolent goddess." Ares teased before taking her to his little lair.

***

The place was not what she expected—the air was calm, the room was clear, and the whole aesthetic was far out from the Ares she painted in her mind. "Goodness!" She expressed, as her thoughts about him turned in topsy-turvy.